Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are some of your Childhood memories? >

What are some of your Childhood memories?

What are some of your Childhood memories?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Riding my horse!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM

1. riding my bike to the speedy market for a popsicle in the summer
2. camping with my family
3. my mother making me a new dress
4. playing the part of El Lobo in a Spanish version of Little Red Riding Hood.
5. swimming at the local pool
6. going to my brother's little league baseball games. I wasn't interested in the game, but we always got a dime to spend at the snack bar. I could buy a nickel candy bar and 5 penny candies. On really hot days, we would get 20 cents and then we could get a snowcone too! Wow!!!
7. and my most vivid childhood memory was when I was 4 1/2 years old we were visiting at my grandparents home and my grandfather died suddenly of a heart attack while we were there. I remember my father taking us to the mortuary to see him. I remember the large black and white square tiled floor. When my dad lifted me up to see my grandpa, I remember thinking that he was folded in half with his legs bent back underneath him. For many years I thought that was how it was done and it was years later that I realized that half the casket was closed. My mind couldn't imagine what my eyes couldn't see. It always makes me laugh a little at that memory. I also do not remember being scared. I'm not sure I would have taken my children at that age to view someone who had passed away. I take that back--my son was 5 1/2 when my dad died and he did see his grandpa and was not scared.

Thanks for the memories!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

I had a wonderful childhood. Went swimming at the local pool which was so large. It was two full size pools parellel to one another with a fountain in the middle and a sliding board in 3ft. What fun! I played marbles, jump rope, hop scotch, hunt the hay (they call it hide and seek today) at night while our parents sat outside with us. No air-conditioning then. Going to the icecream shop for homemade icecream. Getting snowballs at the neighborhood shop with syrup, marshmallow and crushed pineapple and cherry on top, boy was that good. Going to town with my mother and stopping at Kress dime store to have a malt. Going to the movie on saturday nights with my brothers and sister. After the movie would stop at the local bakery and watch them make donuts. My mom would order ice cream from the drugstore (handpacked) on cold nights. Crazy huh! Going downtown with my mother to see movies. I will always treasure those memories. I wish all chilren could have a great childhood like I did.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 PM

playing outside in the summer which included Kick the can, hide and seak, catching lightning bugs, waiting for the ice cream man
,popping bubbles in the freshly oil street !!! then when it was time to come in , it was straight to the bathtub for a scubbing and mom made pop corn in a skillet for a treat before bed!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Oh MidwestMary! You really brought back a sweet memory when you spoke about bathing in the old galvanized tub. My Mother would set the tub on two kitchen chairs and fill it. Wonder what memories our kids will have. Also how about the old wringer washer...I remember my Mother getting her hand stuck in the wringer and then she had to "pop" the handle to open the rollers to free her hand. When I first got married I washed our clothes in the "set tub" with my Mother's scrub board. Next we took clothes to the laundry, and last but not least came the used G.E.wringer washer.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

My dad was a milk man and delivered to the door. In the summer I would get to go with him once in a while. He always had popsicles and ice cream bars so the kids in the neighborhoods would be watching for him. Ice cream bars were a nickle if a kid was short a penny my dad made up the difference.
Climbing the tree above the swimming hole in the creek.
Jumping out of the neighbors barn loft, (A barn in the city) and telling ghost stories on it back steps.
Playing hide and seek with about 30 kids in the neighborhood.
At 14 I rode my bike on a very busy main street and kept up with the cars going 35mph. (My parents would have grounded me if they had known.)
Going to the park to be alone and climbing a tree to hide so my siblings (10 of them) couldn't find me when mom sent them to get me.
At 10 deciding to ride my bike to a town 15 miles away and being picked up by the state patrol and taken home. (Mom was livid, Dad thought it was funny) I was bummed.
I could think of a lot more.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM

using carnation milk cans to walk on, walking on stilts going to church cam, swimming and going to Ohio to speend a month with my grandparents, and riding my bike
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM

I remember my 1st trip to the beach & ocean when we moved to South Texas. Fell in love with it & to this day I love to walk on the beach especially at night to feel the breeze & waves on my feet. I remenber my dad cranking the ice cream freezer to make peach ice cream. Man it was so good. His & my favorite. Also remember the time we had to get a new one cause the old wooden bucket bands were giving away & daddy got some bailing wire & held it together so we could finish making the ice cream. Then we got the plastic bucket kind & it was electric. Going to the lake on Friday nights & fishing all night & catching crappies. When we got tired we just crawled up in the front of the boat & went to sleep. Having ice cold watermelon for breakfast.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Making a 'house' between trees with twine and using old furniture thrown out by parents to play house.

climbing an old silo

playing in haymow of barn (after helping fill it !)

listening to Blondie and Dagwood on radio.

coming home from school in winter and putting dven door down on wood burner stove to warm up feet

going to free shows in town

Helping build our barn

Picking beans to earn money. Weeding onions, topping onions and picking potatoes for local ag company.

many others too many to list