Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
When doing tutorials >

When doing tutorials

When doing tutorials

Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Maybe you can copy and paste the longer ones to a word document and cut out the parts you don't need? Then the printing would be customized to your needs/wants :D:D:D

That is an excellent idea, so maybe I'll get my "computer smart" son over here to do some of that for me! Thanks! :thumbup:
Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM

You can't go wrong with any/all of these PDF suggestions, but a real quick way to print cheaply is to set up your printer to use less ink on the document pages. When you've given it the command to print your highlighted selection, the printer panel will come up. Click on >Properties. From there you will be able to choose >Draft which uses far, far less ink. Also, if you don't need to use color on the prints you can save even more. Go to the >Advanced tab and select >Black and White instead of >Color.

Those settings will work only for the current print you're doing. If you want to set it up to work this way almost always, then set your preferences via the Control Panel, >Printers.

I print a lot and estimate that I cut my ink costs by at least 60%, perhaps more.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
Oh, I definitely appreciate them - there's no doubt about that.
I was just surprised, I guess, when my printer kept printing and printing and printing. I love those tutorials, so guess I must retract my suggestion.
Maybe you could do as I do, and only print the instructions that you meed to have away from the computer, and leave the rest in a word or text edit (imac) document. Saves me lots of ink.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm learning a lot of computer tips from this post! Something I do - go into your "preferences" when you print and choose a draft copy, which uses about half the ink. You can also save colored ink by choosing "black ink only" and printing in black and white.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sosewcrazy
I'm learning a lot of computer tips from this post! Something I do - go into your "preferences" when you print and choose a draft copy, which uses about half the ink. You can also save colored ink by choosing "black ink only" and printing in black and white.
Duh - it's "properties," and it was already posted here. Now... I love to learn how to convert files into a PDF.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Gosh, I'm sorry - didn't mean to create a situation. I've been having some problems with this computer program and guess I must have taken it out on tutorials. I love them - honestly. Mzzzquilts - your idea is great, as are some of the others. Thanks.
Not a problem. Everyone is sharing how they save and/or print the tutorials so others can learn also.

I always bookmark the ones I like, and if I really think I'll make it. I copy it to a word document, delete the photos that I understand the step with what's written and shink the pictures down a whole bunch.

I use Windows 7 and haven't had any problems with copying photos. Maybe someone who knows how it's done can give some suggestions for those who can't. I don't know that much about it. It's all magic to me.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
wonder if you can convert them to pdf files?
If you copy them into a word doc and then when you save it save it as a pdf and you should be good to go. I do this so that I can put them on my color nook
Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Is it possible to do these on as few pages as you can. One of them took 31 pages and that is a lot of expensive ink. THANK YOU - just a question.
I have a laptop and set it in front of my sewing machine. Then I watch the first step, pause the computer, sew, then forward the computer again, pause, sew etc. over and over until done. While doing this I have a notebook and write my own directions as to how I made it so that I can repeat it. Hope this makes sense.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
If you copy them into a word doc and then when you save it save it as a pdf and you should be good to go. I do this so that I can put them on my color nook
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! How simple. I thought it was a complicated thing that I'd never be able to do. Thanks SOOOOOO much!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by sosewcrazy
Originally Posted by romanojg
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! How simple. I thought it was a complicated thing that I'd never be able to do. Thanks SOOOOOO much!
Any time; us quilters have to stick together