fleas

Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Isnt Dawn the one that all of the animal rescue groups use for the oil spills? I thought that my wife had a bottle of it in there that had something about saving lives through conservation or something like that.

Billy
Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Please use Advantage as Frontline really doesn't do the job nearly as well!! I have 6 cats and found out the hard way!!
Originally Posted by Hosta
my poor puppy has gotten fleas we have scrubbed her and put frontline on her now she is not speaking to us she is pouting in the bathroom on the rug
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
Our vet recommended Comfortis, a pill you give them with food once a month for flea control. We've just started it a few days ago and already notice less scratching.

We use Comfortis and have had NO fleas for 3 months. It was a constant battle living in an apartment cause I can't control the outside or the neighbors. I have tried them all. I love Comfortis!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Comfortis is a life saver here in Florida land of the sand fleas. [You know they can exist dormant for up to 3 years [!!!! until they find a host?] The trick that works with ours to prevent them throwing it up is be sure they have a full tummy first, wait about 30 minutes then give them the Comfortis. We also only give it every 6 weeks and have absolutely NO fleas on them or in house. Do not give them heartworm meds at least 2 days before or after either. Both are strong meds so their system needs adaption time.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Poor puppy, we are so lucky here no fleas for either cats or dogs here. Cracks me up with the pet stores selling flea products.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 AM

Snooper, my beagle, doesn't like the idea of baths but when I throw the towl on the floor he comes over and rubs himself on it then I throw the second towel over him and then the rubbing/drying begins. He absolutely loves the rubdown afterwards. Not the ear cleaning and Dremmel on the toenails though.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Two things; now Walmarts carries Adams flea meds It's just like frontline but it works; the second get your self some Simple Green and bathe your dog in it; it kills the fleas and like for my dogs I makes thier white fur really bright. I've been bathing dogs in it for over 20 years and it works great. It's right in the cleaning isle. I mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with water and put it in a spray bottle for pre-treating clothes; gets oil stains out.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 AM

Simple Green, Really? I guess that makes sense as it is environmentally friendly and if you dilute it enough. Is it okay for cats, too? I have friends who cannot afford the expense of monthly Advantage and this would be a God-send! Thank you
Originally Posted by romanojg
Two things; now Walmarts carries Adams flea meds It's just like frontline but it works; the second get your self some Simple Green and bathe your dog in it; it kills the fleas and like for my dogs I makes thier white fur really bright. I've been bathing dogs in it for over 20 years and it works great. It's right in the cleaning isle. I mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with water and put it in a spray bottle for pre-treating clothes; gets oil stains out.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
Simple Green, Really? I guess that makes sense as it is environmentally friendly and if you dilute it enough. Is it okay for cats, too? I have friends who cannot afford the expense of monthly Advantage and this would be a God-send! Thank you
Originally Posted by romanojg
It sure is; when we lived in Hawaii we knew someone who brushed their teeth with it. Now he had pretty teeth but I just couldn't do it. I love the stuff; it's really multi-purpose and good for cleaning everything; encluding cats and dogs. Fleas are so bad this year along w/ticks
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Get a fine tooth comb from the vet and comb out fleas after a bath or in between and pick them, put in a container of Dawn dish Liquid to kill. Also clean fien comb in Dawn and let dry on a paper towel. I did this as well as bathing my pup in (Original) Dawn Blue Dish Liquid. Safe for puppies and Kittens. Best to use a cotton ball in ears, not a q tip fro cleaning ears. Enjyo your puppy!