Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton VS polyester batting >

Cotton VS polyester batting

Cotton VS polyester batting

Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 PM

I like the Warm & White, Warm & Natural, Hobbs 80/20 (poly-cotton). I've used the poly batting but you do have to quilt it closer. The Dream Cotton is good also. But for a fluffer look I would use the poly but watch how you quilt it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I have a quilt that I made with polyester batting many, many, many decades ago. I tied the quilt. I still use the quilt.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM

I appreciate all your answers! Still have to do some thinking and maybe try to get a small piece of each to do a sample that I can show him to see which he likes best.
Such a great group of people here - You are the BEST!!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM

I had polyester wick through on a paper pieced quilt that was king sized and had taken 100s of hours to make .The batting was top of the price range and of course it wicked on the black sashing and it was white.I have made many quilts since then and the batting is always cotton with no wicking.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Well can anybody explain to me why 2 diferent quilts I made did beard. They both have lots of quilting, no big spaces.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Well can anybody explain to me why 2 diferent quilts I made did beard. They both have lots of quilting, no big spaces.
It depends a lot on the batting and how it is finished (bonded). Some manufacturers do a better job with bonding than others. Bonding means they apply a process to the surface (maybe heat, but usually a chemical process) to kind of "glue" the poly fibers together so they won't migrate. These batts are supposed to hold up better over time and also not be as prone to bearding. I think the Hobbs Polydown and Quilter's Dream poly are two of these better quality battings.

Another factor is the fabric. Some fabrics are more tightly woven than others. I think especially that some fabrics shrink more in the wash than others, creating a tighter weave that prevents poly fibers from migrating so easily.

Also, bearding will be a lot more visible on dark fabrics than on light. A pastel quilt might beard as much as a dark quilt, but the bearding might not be noticed.

I might like to try the better quality polyester battings some day, but so far I really like cotton better -- especially for baby quilts that will get a lot of brutal wear and tear. Years ago I made two child quilts and had the opportunity 10 years later to see what they looked like. The one with polyester batting was a horrific, balled up mess that the child still loved! The one with cotton batting was faded and worn, with frayed binding, but was still a beautiful quilt. What really sold me on cotton was the fact that this quilt, which had been through the washer/dryer many times, was as soft as a cloud. I have since read that cotton does get softer with every washing.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Wool might be a good choice. But first I would ask your friend to show you an example of what he means by puffy. He may be thinking more of a comforter than of a quilt. Then show him one of your quilts quilted with W&W or W&N. He may decide he likes that look just fine. Sometimes people have one thing in mind, until they see something else...
Not too long ago a customer brought me some wool batting to use in her kids quilts. I loved working with it!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM

I am slow in reading but wanted to chime in. I have no link to this company but I LOVE the poly batting. The 6 oz is plenty warm and puffy enough. When I first started using them I threw a piece in with blue jeans with no cover several washing's. No shrinking or falling apart. I still usually tie every 6 inches as the pattern allows
http://okleequilting.com/store
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

I use polyester and it holds up very well better than cotton. I have never had a problem with it punching up.
Glenn
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/quil...ls/cat_46.html

Has very good prices on batting :)