Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do?  Bugs in ordered fabric >

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 AM

I agree-eeewwww!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 AM

I purchased a box of fabric at a garage sale last year and it was infested with bugs. I was glad that I left it in the garage that day. I filled a wash tub full of hot water out doors and then put lysol in the brown bottle in the hot water and it did kill all of the bugs and eggs.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 AM

Or "feces happens"
Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by MonnaL
Yes, I shook the fabric really well outside, and it is in the washer right now.

I have written to the company - as I said, I want to keep the fabric and have no intention of sending it back for a refund. Told them as nicely as I could what happened so maybe they can check their envelopes.

yep...we have a saying here... "feces occurs". In this case, it was quite literal, though LOL
Another version is: Manure occureth!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Put it in the Microwave for a minute. That will kill off the eggs, etc and you will be safe. Just washing may leave some attached and if you use hot water, it could make them grow.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Yes let her know and thank you for letting us know. I will be opening my online fabric outdoors from now on. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 AM

definately let them know. They cannot correct it if they don't know.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM

How unfortunate! I hope the Co. doesn't doubt you. They need to know that these things happen.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Wow...if anyone can find the thread that this has happened before, I sure would like to read it! It would be interesting to see if they got a response from the company, because I haven't yet.

The bug cases were black..like I said, at first I thought they were mouse droppings. And about the same size. Only on closer examination did I realize they were egg cases. Probably 5 or 6 of them, and lots of brown crumbly stuff that I am sure was bug feces.

There were none on the fabric - it was folded so I shook it out really well and saw nothing. It appears to be fine with no holes or bug spittle, just a "yuck" factor.

Ya know..I don't really care if the shop believes me or not. I'm not one given to hysterics, and I am certainly not expecting them to do anything about it. I do not want a refund. I want to keep the fabric. I just want them to know there is definitely a problem with their shipping supplies.

I would rather not say the name of the shop right now - I'd like to hear from them first. If I don't hear from them, I will do as I said in the first post and never order from them again. After having ordered tons of stuff from ebay for over 10 years (I also collect vintage linens) and many, many online purchases of fabric, I can honestly say this is the first time anything like this has happened. Funky odors, yeah...that happens. Easily fixed. Filthy, dirty...nothing a little Oxy won't fix.

But never, ever bugs in the package. I'll be opening my packages outside from now on, too!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Good ideas here. I learn so much from this board and all the wonderful, experienced members. Thanks for telling us about your dilemma.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM

I would let the person/company know of your experience. If I was the sender, I'd want to know.