Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary blade sharpeners? >

Rotary blade sharpeners?

Rotary blade sharpeners?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

The sharpeners sold for home use are made to keep a sharp blade sharp, not sharpen a dull blade. If you keep your blade sharp it won't dull but will eventually lose the edge to sharpen. Most people will try to sharpen a dull blade and then announce the sharpener isn't worth buying. It's not worth it if you use it that way. I would pick the manual Tru Cut sharpener over the electric one because it will keep the blade sharp with less effort and it's right there ready to use. I have many of the Harbor Freight blades but they seem to be not as flat or have the edge angle as the quilting brands. I don't resharpen them.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
I have one and it works great, I never get nicks in my blades.
Jingle, what kind do you have? & where did you get it, cost, etc???
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 AM

i have DH "trained" to pick up blades every time he goes to harbor freight. he's a good sport. (i don't count his tools and bicycles, he doesn't count my machines and fabric...)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Before I discovered Harbor Freight, I bought a Dritz rotary blade sharpener. I works great! It is hand held and the blade is rotated around a stone. It sort of looks like a kids spinning top. It does not fix nicks in the blades though. I'm still glad I bought it.
I also have a dritz sharpner that I have had for years and use it, I agree it will not take out nicks, but I would not part with it.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

i bought a sharpener a few years ago- oh boy is it ever dangerous! you think the blades themselves are dangerous---then try to use this (tool- and i use the term loosely) and find out just what danger is!
you have to handle the blade- get it on this (spindle) put this *thing* together- turn it a few times----then you have to take it apart and struggle to get the blade back out without loosing any digits...after a few tries we decided it did not make enough difference- keep a sharp edge long enough to justify the danger involved- and put it away somewhere- now i watch for sales & coupons- and always have new blades on my Christmas/birthday wish list- hubby is great about buying me a couple 5packs of new blades for my stocking every year :)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
(DH) he's a good sport. (i don't count his tools and bicycles, he doesn't count my machines and fabric...)
Mine is the same way, we are certainly blessed. :lol:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Had one at one time, didn't like the way it didn't. Don't even remember what the brand name was. Tried HF blades, didn't like them, so I just wait until JoAnns has a coupon and then buy new blades.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM

has anyone bought one from ]sewing with nancy?] my friend wan't to try one, but said she didn't have the money .
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have a sharpener and it doesn't work at all. I now use Harbor Freight blades.
Ditto from me
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
I checked into the Harbor Freight blades. What mm are they? Do they attach the same way as the store blades? Thanks.
Harbor Freight carpet blades they call them fit only 45", and they work the same way as any other blade you use. Some people from this group, have been saying they find them back by paint