Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
grandma found my kids another caterpillar...this one is huge!!! >

grandma found my kids another caterpillar...this one is huge!!!

grandma found my kids another caterpillar...this one is huge!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Tomatoe Horn Worm anyone?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=tomat...w=1366&bih=643

Here are pics of the tomato horn worm caterpillars. Not exactly what we have here.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM

I agree it's kind of creepy.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM

BE thankful it is not a gypsy moth, they caused a lot of destruction here in Northern Michigan. Eat all the leaves off trees and leave poop all over your yard!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM

I am not sure your caterpillar is a gypsy moth larva...at least I hope it isn't for your sake. We have had three terrible infestations of Gypsy Moths in our city over the last 10-12 years, and they don't look anything like your picture. They destroyed hundreds of oak and pine trees in our neighborhoods and I hope never to see one again. We had to coat our tree trunks with tanglefoot on tape so that they couldn't climb up our tree in the late afternoon and feed on our leaves. They would cover the entire bottom of the trunk and we'd have to scrape them off into buckets and kill them. There were so many of them one year that at night, we could go outside and it would sound like a light rain hitting the leaves. What it REALLY was, was their droppings hitting the leaves and it would be all over our driveway, yard, patio and furniture in the morning. :? I am attaching a picture of what they looked like. OOPS! I just realized that you already know this...guess I should have read further down your page!!!! I just hear the word gypsy moth and I freak out. Enjoy your new science adventure!!! :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-246058.jpe  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
I am not sure your caterpillar is a gypsy moth larva...at least I hope it isn't for your sake. We have had three terrible infestations of Gypsy Moths in our city over the last 10-12 years, and they don't look anything like your picture. They destroyed hundreds of oak and pine trees in our neighborhoods and I hope never to see one again. We had to coat our tree trunks with tanglefoot on tape so that they couldn't climb up our tree in the late afternoon and feed on our leaves. They would cover the entire bottom of the trunk and we'd have to scrape them off into buckets and kill them. There were so many of them one year that at night, we could go outside and it would sound like a light rain hitting the leaves. What it REALLY was, was their droppings hitting the leaves and it would be all over our driveway, yard, patio and furniture in the morning. :? I am attaching a picture of what they looked like. OOPS! I just realized that you already know this...guess I should have read further down your page!!!! I just hear the word gypsy moth and I freak out. Enjoy your new science adventure!!! :thumbup:
Oh wow. I heard they were bad, but never realized they were that bad.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 AM
mim

the little white rice size things are the eggs of a predator wasp. that is a good thing -- the worms are bad -- I have 2 tomato plants and so far in the last 3 days I've picked off 10 worms. By yesterday afternoon I was getting the new ones -- only an inch long. Another one this morning. they not only eat the leaves, they chew into the tomatoes, too. Ugh -- Mim

Originally Posted by hperttula123
http://www.google.com/search?q=tomat...w=1366&bih=643

Here are pics of the tomato horn worm caterpillars. Not exactly what we have here.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM

It's a tomato hornworm. We had them on our plants this year. UGH
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

That is really different.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Oh my, I havnt seen one of them for a good 30 years.
Here in Australia, we call them Emperor Gum Caterpillers, and we used to keep them as pets.
I just loved the smell of them.