Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can one do to prevent fleas? >

What can one do to prevent fleas?

What can one do to prevent fleas?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM

You can use baby shampoo(ant brand) as I get mine from Dollar General. Soap them up good and let stand on them for about 10 min & rinse.I have seen the dead fleas in the soap. My groomer told us about this plus she does use the Comfortis. This Florida & the bugs are terrible!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Mix 1 part cheap lemon scented dish soap to 1 part amonia and put in a hose end sprayer and "wash" your yard and around the doors. You will have bubbles and that is ok.

Saturate everything outside you can as they lay-in-wate for fur baby. If you can find orange- it is better than lemon.
Wash about every 3 days until you feel good about the job. It won't do anythng to plants or chrubs, in fact they like it.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM

It is very difficult to get rid of fleas once they get into your home and carpet. Do an internet search for "borax and fleas". Buy 20 mule team borax in the laundry section of your grocery store. It dehydrates them, eggs and all and gets rid of them.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 AM

I put revolution on my Lucy from the vet.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Best thing in my life with my dogs was the topical flea medicines they came up with. Revolution is what I use for heart worm, fleas and ticks, from my Vet.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM

I use a flea spray for the carpet and furniture it eliminates the fleas for 6 months...but once they are gone if you don't get reinfected they are gone. And you might consider treating the dog too.I haven't had fleas in a few years but the spray really works. Our Casey (when we got her) had fleas..but not for long.....
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM

we have been battling fleas since July once you think they are gone here pops up another one. our poor dog has lost the hair on her belly and on her legs she chewed it off by scratching and chewing on her flea bites. now my son's car is infested with the darn things
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Poor puppy got to baths yesterday. Both were not to his liking, as I left him soapy for about 10 minutes each time. I am heading to Wal-Mart in a few minutes to get some moth balls and new vacuum bags. (and to check out the newly returned fabric department!) Thanks again to all. My middle daughter is a veterinarian surgery assistant, she is bringing me something oral for him on Tuesday. Hopefully we have it under control.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Comfortis is an internal med. I live in the "fleas never hibernate state of Florida". I give our beagle/rat terrier mixes one pill for their weight every 6 wks and we never have fleas.
Where do you get Comfortis? Is it expensive?
I just paid $14 for one pill (My vet isn't the cheapest place in town, probably) but it's worth it. Fleas on dog are dead in 24 hours and it keeps working for a month.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Frontline gets in the dog or cats blood and when the fleas bite the animal they die. Doesn't take long to get rid of all the fleas and ticks . It works for me. I have 2 dogs and 5 cat outside and a very cute chihuahua and schnowzer(I know I mispelled them both) mix 4 mo. old in the house.
It's a monthly application ,one pill a month, cost depends on size of animal. Probably no better than the $14 someoneelse mentioned. but its worth every penny. Cost way more than that with all the grandulars and sprays. and still have fleas.