Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
entrance Fee's for GUILD shows! >

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 AM

$5 is the going fee in my area for local quilt shows.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM

The quilt guild I belong to has a quilt show every other year. We usually have on display over 500 quilts. It is expensive to conduct a quilt show. The cost of all the rods for display if very expensive, plus you have to have some place to store all of those when they are not in use. We pay for advertising, rental of the building, brochures, etc. It is very expensive to rent a building large enough to display that many quilts. We charge $5 admission usually. One of our members enters her quilts nationally and has gorgeous things on display. In addition, we usually have to hire people to help hang and take down the show, as well as security. There are many hidden costs involved.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

If I couldn't afford to spend $5 that is a more serious matter for me to change then the quilt show fee to be changed to free.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a "bed turning"?

This sounds like a fantastic show, btw...
Yes, what is a bed turning, please?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Our quilt show is our big money maker every three years. We pay almost $1000.00 for the rent of the high school. $5.00 is what we charge. I really don't think that it is too much to charge. You can come in and spend all day there. We have free demos and so do most of the vendors. $5.00 is a pretty cheap cost for a days entertainment. We on average have at least 10 vendors from up to 150 miles away and show over 200 quilts.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM

i don't think $5 is unreasonable, the one show i go to every year is 6 but if you plan on going back(3 day show) you can buy a pass for 12 i think.
i have also attended some shows that are part of local festivals. The quilts are set up in a public building like a library and it's free to see them.
It's not something I do every week so I don't mind paying to get in.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM

When I was painting, the fees for local & regional shows ran $25-40 depending upon the venue. The state and national juried shows? Those ran up to hundreds of dollars - and that was a LONG time ago.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM

I recently paid $7.00 for our local guild show. IMO well worth it! Lots of work goes into setting up all those quilts, money for rent, supplies. Everyone works for free and profit goes to the guild. Cheaper than a movie and a lot more fun.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
When I was painting, the fees for local & regional shows ran $25-40 depending upon the venue. The state and national juried shows? Those ran up to hundreds of dollars - and that was a LONG time ago.
I think you may be talking about a different type of entrance fee. You're talking about a fee to enter an item in the show and we're talking about the fee the public pays to enter the building.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a "bed turning"?
Quilts are piled flat on a bed and a knowledgeable person talks about each one. When done with the top one, she turns the top edge of that quilt to the foot of the bed, exposing the next one and talks about that one (top quilt to bottom quilt). When all have been turned, the program ends. Frequently, there is a second program and the person turns the quilts, one by one, back towards the head of the bed as she talks about them (bottom quilt to top quilt) to a new audience. It's an educational presentation with questions and answers as it goes along.