Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching... >

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How many have you already done? If possible I would switch to a different brand metallic, one with a softer, less brittle feel. If not possible try a needle with a larger eye that is for top stitching or embroidery?

I was trying to stitch with Sulky Gold Metallic, and had a terrible time. I tried every suggestion there is. Nothing worked. One thing, I will add, if you have an electronic sewing machine, DO NOT USE SEWERS AID! Anyway, back to my problem....a friend gave me a big box of thread which had a good sized cone of gold metallic thread. I don't know what brand it is, but it is NOT Sulky. That thread worked beautifully! Never had one thread breakage, and I embroidered 36 gold snowflakes. I believe the thread was Madeira, only because much of the thread in the box was Madeira. So my suggestion is....throw out the Sulky and try another brand. I ended up using a 90/14 topstitching needle.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 AM

there is a brand of thread out there called YENMET made in Japan and is and looks just like metalic and both my machines love it I don't even use a special needle my Bernina shop carries it and if you cannot find it I think you may be able to find it by googling Bernina Billings Mont.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 AM

That is one gorgeous quilt, I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on threads, but it is definitely beautiful and I would love it on my bed.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 AM

I just posted the same question a few weeks ago. So, I went and got the needle for metallic threads. Still breaking. Changed the tension, still breaking. Tried every single bit of advice. Still breaking. Finally I had to purchase new thread. https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...llic-1090-yds/

And the thread breakage was alot less often. I could not sew more than a few inches before, and after changing the thread I almost completed my project. It was certainly worth the cost, and the sanity it restored was worth every penny.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 AM

Sewers Aid does help, and also the brand of thread you are using. Some just will not work smoothly. I like Madeira the best
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 AM

Love the quilt, great job and Thanks for sharing, I always have problems with metallic thread.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 AM

I've taped a regular safety pin (upside down) to the top left hand side (near the back) of my machine. Then I lay the metallic thread in a small bowl on the table right below rather than on my thread spindle. Then thread the machine as usual starting through the bottom of the pin. Loosen the top tension a bit. Don't give up - it is doable and you'll have the results you want but it does require patience. Try a practice piece first. Oh, go slow and steady too. Hope this works for you. Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM

try using a new needle I was having that problem so I started changing my needle quiet often and it worked out well for me might work for you too
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM

You could try loosening the top tension. It should help the breaking thread. Beautiful quilt. I love the color.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 AM

I feel for you. One year I was making FSL angels and was ready to pull my hair out. Found out that different machines like different threads. Fortunately I had several different golds and went to a scrap and found one that worked. My poor angel has part metallic and part gold colored thread but everyone else got the metallic ones.
Love that quilt. Paisley is also one of my favorites.