Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where does everyone pin their layers together? >
  • Where does everyone pin their layers together?

• Where does everyone pin their layers together?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM

I used to "go to church" and use their tables, but most of the time I use my quilt frames. I have four sticks now; my longest is 96 inches. I put this up in my living room or kitchen and roll around it with my rolling serger chair. I can pin baste this in less than an hour without having to roll the sides in. I have long arms and can reach the center.
    I can tie a quilt for an hour or two and then my husband helps me roll the sides in. Then the quilt gets smaller and we can walk around it easier. But the sticks still stick out. Sometimes my husband wants to get to the other side, and I tell him to walk out the door, walk around the house and come back in another door. LOL
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM

I go downstairs in the den in front of my fireplace and lay it out, we do not have furniture down there so I can lay out a queen size perfectly...then I lay down on it and start pinning...I am only 27 so its not an issue...but down the road it would be awesome to have one of those big crafting tables out in the breezeway to be able to stand up and pin...maybe one day in my lifetime
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Ah, to be 27 again.
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM

I use the dining room table with the pad turned upside down. The fuzz grabs the backing and keeps it smooth. Then batting then top. Works for me. on the last one (lap sized) I used glue. I am going to use it from now on. Worked great.
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM

This looks like somthing I'll try next time - I've seen the video too, but didn't want to do all that thread basting. Up until now I've taped mine down on the carpet and agree, that's getting to be a real pain!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I have folding tables from Walmart and use Sharon Schamber's method to roll them onto flat boards but instead of thread basting then I spray baste. It goes really, really fast that way. Sharon Schamber's videos are available on youtube.
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM

I have a flannel backed tablecloth that hangs on a wall and doubles as my design wall. I read about using the wall to make my sandwiches using basting spray. works very well. note I only make lap size quilts.
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

My quilting buddy has 4big tables in the basement..we tape down the edges of the backing and go from there. We have "mutual pinning and binding agreement "!
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

On the dining room table, I have a pad on it and if the quilt is too big, I pin half and fold under the other half so that I can tape it to the table. Works great for me!
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM

I just had a friend make me 2 4x6 panels of styrofoam that is reinforced by some firring strips around the edges and a few times in the middle. My plan is to put those wherever I need them to hang my backing on - spray baste my batting and quilt top on - or pin I guess if I think I need to. I saw this on a youtube video the other day and immediately jumped on the idea. The materials cost a little less than $60. This will also now serve as my design wall with some flannel tacked on. Each panel weighs only about 4 lbs, so I can easily move them. I will have this in my home tonight and am excited to give it a shot. I have my first twin size quilt all ready to go.
    Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Joyce, AZWENDYG on this board has a tute for that. It's the only way to go. I'll never do it the old way again.