Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Much Time Do You Spend Quilting Daily? >
  • How Much Time Do You Spend Quilting Daily?

• How Much Time Do You Spend Quilting Daily?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM

My doc prescribed a minimum of 15 minutes a day...which often stretches to more. It's very relaxing and the best stress management thing I do.
    Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    I am also retired, and sometimes I spend all day quilting. That is after I read the Board. I get so I resent the time I need to spend doing "chores" that takes me away from quilting.
    Sue
    I agree with Susie. I resent the time I need to clean house, etc. when I could be quilting. I quilt whenever I can which is alot.
    Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Not nearly enough! lol I always plan to spend at least half a day in my quilting studio, but life tends to get in the way. Some days I spend several hours quilting. Some days I don't even step foot in the room. I thought I would have more time to quilt after I retired, but sometimes it seems that I have less time than when I worked full time. It could be that I am just slowing down. lol
    Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Most days I schedule the time from breakfast until lunch as quilting time. If I have other projects (non-quilting) to complete I plan to do them after lunch and try to finish before dinner. If I don't have other non-quilting things, I quilt from after lunch until dinner. Sometimes I even quilt from after dinner until bed time. I am lucky to have a hubby who cooks the meals!
    Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Being retired I can quilt from sunrise to sunset and beyond. It's a great life!
    Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
    Banned

Depends on how I feel. I have to be in the mood to quilt and when I am I'll quilt as long as I can. Last weekend all day Sat and Sun. Skipped yesterday and today I did 5 hours. I'm almost done with the one I'm working on so I'm chomping at the bit to finish it.
    Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM

I quilt for hours a day when I am working on a project for no particular reason..lIt seems that now that I have 3 more items to make for Christmas i am doing NOTHING!! I have severe COPD, and spend a lot of time with doctors, so in all actuality my sewing time can be limited by that and how I feel. Although one time when I was in the hospital, I hand quilted an entire twin quilt!! I prefer the days that I quilt for at least 4 hours.....I will be moving right after Christmas, so I will be preparing hand work to do until my new sewing area is set up....Since I hand quilt everything I have plent I can prep!!
    Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM

I squeeze as much as I can between other things. I am surprised at how much I can do in 10-20 min a day. Sometimes I get a whole, long, lovely day!
    Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM

I thought being retired would afford me more time, but I find I'm just as busy during my waking hours as I was before. I now have to remind myself that it's OKAY to put other stuff off until later and quilting should be higher on my list. I guess I sometimes feel guilty about the unwashed load of laundry or the unmade bed, but I usually quickly get over that guilt!! I find I'm putting in at least one to four hours a day in my recently re-vamped quilting room.
    Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm trying to get into a routine because my time seems to fly by and all of a sudden it's early afternoon and I'm just heading into the quilt room. Now that the days are so short I need to take better advantage of daylight!

I try to do all of my errands on one weekday since I live out of town. On the other weekdays DH and DS leave for school about 7:30. I like to drink my coffee, read blogs and just chill after that. Start a load of laundry maybe. Ideally I should be sewing by 10:00 and go until 3:00 with a break or two. At night I like to spend time with the family, do some handwork or read. I used to be a late night sewing person but I find I make too many mistakes now.

Weekends I tend to get a lot done in my quilting room. DH is always on the go and DS catches up his teenage sleep needs!