Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hi everone  plz help a noobie  i dont no were to start 1st >
  • hi everone plz help a noobie i dont no were to start 1st

• hi everone plz help a noobie i dont no were to start 1st

Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
    Power Poster

mix up your squares sew a group together in a rectangle...if you like .... sandwich a piece of batting between the sewn squares and another piece of fabric..... hand quilt.... make a placemat. If you enjoy that you can move on to bigger and better things.
    Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Hi there , there are many sites on hand piecing on you tube.If you watch these videos, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.You will be able to follow instructions at your own time.It is always a good place to start with hand piecing, that is haow this craft began, in fact I still love to do just that.take your time, you will get there. lol Letty
    Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Watch the lessons using a sewing machine but then do it by hand. The most important thing is the 1/4" seam. It will give you great practice by sewing your 4X4's together for a lap quilt and then go from there. Do they teach classes at your fabric store? That would be the best place to get started. Just start with something simple and go from there. It won't take you long to catch on and determine what you want to do and how to do it. My first quilt was sewing a few large squares together, cross stitching intials in the ccenter square and turned into 2 beddpreads for my two girls when they were younger. They are now in the 40's. Keep it simple. For the first time anyway.
    Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Yes, you can just keep adding your squares together until you get the size that you are happy with.
    You can use a cereal box or any card board box to use as a template. Use your scissors to cut the
    template as big as you want, then use your ruler and pencil to mark a 1/4 inch all around your
    square before you start hand stitching them together. If you do buy a sewing machine you just
    really need one that sews a straight stitch that is low in price or see if you can buy a refurbished one.
    Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Another simple pattern would be to just sew a row of blocks together the width you want your quilt. Then the next row of blocks you sew together you can cut the first block in half witch would make it 2X4 block. then sew the other blocks to it & at the end of that row, sew the other 2x4 block. Then sew those two rows together & you don't have to worry about matching seams with this method. Each seam would be in the middle of the block in the first row. Alternate starting & ending every other row with a half block.
    Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Good for you for wanting to learn something new. My first quilt was sewn and quilted entirely by hand.

A. Find a pattern you want to use to make your quilt.
    B. Make a template for the pattern using cardboard from items you already have (cereal boxes, or plastic lids).
    C. Select a variety of fabric you want to use in your quilt.
    D. ***Cut pieces of fabric using your template to make a SAMPLE BLOCK before cutting all your pieces ***
    E. Mark a 1/4" seam allowance on your fabric.
    F. Pin two pieces of fabric together with right sides facing each other.
    G. You will need needle, thread, and thimble (if you use one).
    H. Sew the two pieces of fabric together in simple running stitch (in and out of fabric) making small stitches - aim for uniform size of stitches.
    I. Place your iron on the seam just sewed to 'set' the stitches.
    J. Open the two pieces of fabric up and press (don't iron as in back and forth motion which will stretch fabric)...press the seam toward your darker fabric.
    K. **** Repeat the above adding another block according to your pattern chosen ****

Important things to remember:
    1. You can do this.
    2. Cut accurately according to template.
    3. 1/4" seam allowance on each seam will allow you to match seams - aim for consistent 1/4" seams
    4. Pressing is an important part of sewing and putting your pieces together.
    5. ALWAYS make a SAMPLE BLOCK before cutting and making the item you have chosen.
    6. Choose simple patterns in the beginning!

Resources:
    A. Internet - U-tube tutorials......use Google search to find topic you want to read and learn about
    B. Magazines and books.
    C. Quilting Boards - wonderful quilting family with great advice.
    D. People in your life who know how to sew to help with basic skills.

I hope this helps with the very basic information. Sew much to learn and sew little time.
    Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Welcome to the quilting world....Just got Anna's ( DGD) first quilt She machine pieced it but hand quilted it. I was so proud to get it, but even more proud she wanted to be a quilter! I have quilted for many, many years and still have to work on improving technique and always learn more from friends and other quilters. Hope we get to see your finished quilt some time.
    Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 AM

My suggestion as a new quilter is to have a mentor. I was blessed with a sister who was there to answer my questions and encourage me. Seven months in and after watching many tutorials my confidence is growing. You can do it!!! There is so much available via video and internet.
    Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 AM
    Power Poster

You would benefit from a quilting class that a lot of fabric stores offer....It is hard to tell a person how to do something and not be face to face....
    Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM

grandma's garden is another possibility - hexagons by hand or another one is making yo yo s out of circles