Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • any ideas for quilter gifts? >
  • any ideas for quilter gifts?

• any ideas for quilter gifts?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM

What about quilt carriers? I just saw some on Virginia Longarm that would probably make great gifts. You would have to buy I think 25 at a time (http://virginialongarm.com/professional-quilt-carriers/).

I think it would be a great gift or prize, since people have to carry their quilts anyway.
    Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Maybe you could make each person a personal ink pen. I just use a stick type pen, remove the little stopper from the end, use a pretty flower from $ tree, remove the flower from the flower bush and insert in top of pen. Use floral tape, the green strechty type of paper on roll either at $tree or WM. wrap end of flower down to cap of pen. Each could have a different flower or color. Doesn't take long and are useful as well as pretty.
    Old 11-28-2013, 03:49 PM

Go to Joann's and check out the clearance bins? Sometimes they have really neat items. I got a set of stamps with the alphabet for stamping labels since I am still working on the best way for me to write on labels. They also sell large stamps for making quilt labels with permanent ink that were really cute. I use fabric markers to make my own frames whenI stamp a label. I think I spent two dollars for the little wooden stamps. Just a thought....

I just had a second brain storm! Make 2x3" pincushions, put a thick piece of cardboard in the bottom to protect skin, and but a loop of elastic on the back, for wrist pincushions. Very handy if you have a big pin cushion like me. Best part? No cost, just go to your scraps.

Last edited by madamekelly; 11-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 PM

I was at Michael's last week and they had their 12x12 scrapbooking plastic boxes on sale for $4.49. I bought several and will use these to store my completed quilt blocks. Price is right and the use is great!
    Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT
    Most companies will allow groups to meet there at their work. There was a knitting group that met at my company (defense contractors) and they made hats for charity. So they may not have a budget per se for prizes, their contribution may be just the facilities.

I thought the OP was looking for participation gifts not prizes. If they were prizes, then I would would agree with you. But as a participation......more just a little hug like thing, nothing big or expensive, just a touch of something. Then I see keeping the $$ down.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread - the work place has been nuts since begin of December!

Anyway, the UNL Employee Quilt Show is at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln (the Huskers!). Those who participate are employees or Retirees. It is not an official organization of the University. Each quilter who enters pays $10 to enter up to 3 quilts, plus the Challenge quilt this year. The $10 fee covers all cost of printing to advertise the show, and pay for the supplies to print ribbons, and buy cookies and drink for our Opening Day Reception.

So, there really is ZERO budget, above actual costs to put on the show. This year I thought I would redesign the bookmarks we pass out to advertise, so I could get more on a page, and sneak a little money out from that, since I wouldn’t need print so many. And that way I could give little token gifts to all who enter.

Our group also meets monthly at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum, here in Lincoln Nebraska, U.S.. During a recent meeting, I asked for ideas. One idea was tiny clothespins to hang small quilts – not expensive, but just a fun thing.

The gifts would be for all who enter, just something fun. The winner of the Challenge quilt competition will get a bundle of fat quarters (each person who enters will turn in one fat quarter to donate to the cause). The Viewer’s Choice of the 3 other quilts will receive ribbons, we do 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

I agree with you, that if the gift was an AWARD, it should be a little nicer. I guess the term “more just a little hug like thing” really describes what I am trying to do.
    Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM

I like that. It got that when I entered the County Fair. Hmm, wonder how I can do that quickly and inexpensively? Hmm, have to think about it!
    Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM

those are so cute!
    Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Although not quilting related Michael's Crafts Stores have note pads " to do lists" etc for a dollar each. There are magnets on the back to place them on the fridge. Would be handy for shopping lists, Notes to family members etc.
    Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM

I cannot tell what I have planned (just in case any of my quilters are on the QB), but I love what we are making! I will include it with the pics of the show.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6569006
    Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby
    Quilted book marks were made by the guild I belong to, they were like crazy patch/scraps and no cost at all, just time
    I would try to come up with gifts you can make such as a book mark or a mug rug with the name of the guild and date printed on them. Good Luck !!