Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with them now? >

What to do with them now?

What to do with them now?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 AM

Log cabin quilts are my favorite but if you really don't want it anymore and family doesn't want it - by all means donate it but first take a picture of it so you'll always remember it. I had a couple of quilts in that category and I donated them to hurricane Katrina victims. I got such a nice thank you from the recipients and put it with the picture in my quilt scrapbook. Have never missed them yet and am sure they are being used now.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 AM

I think your quilt is beautiful! Personally I love the older prints and of course I love the log cabin. And I think it's wonderful that the two quilts came back to you. Donating them would be my choice. Just think of how the quilts would bring comfort to someone in need ... whether in a woman's shelter or a homeless facility. Or even a veteran. Whatever your decision will be, I hope that you will be at peace with it. To me giving of quilts is what quilting is all about. You have the opportunity to "double" give your quilts. That's so special.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Their not dated! I have seen some of those colours coming back in. I wouldn't start chopping it up. I'd donate it if you have no use for it.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic View Post
By the photo, it needs a LOT more ties. I didn't know back then how far to space them. But I'll probably just LAQ them, I so dislike tying.
I was going to mention this, washing is much harder on tied quilts because there is slack between the ties and the tied area rips. If you have a long arm, maybe a serpentine stitch across and down between each tie? If you do add more ties they should be no more than 2, 3 at the most fingers apart in any direction.

I had a lot of those fabrics and made an identical quilt. I was so proud of it! Over the years it got two more tops and one more back until it went to the burn pile. It earned it's keep!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:25 PM

I myself would not be able to part with it if it were my first quilt. But you must decide, then be happy with your decision. It is beautiful, and requilting would give new life to it. How about holding onto it, and whenever (in the future) someone admires it, give it to him/her. You may have a stash of quilts which we are not aware of; I don't. I have one quilt that I did several years ago (use it on my bed for everyday) and one that I recently quilted (I have only just learned to quilt on my LA) which I intend to keep because I did it. I don't have any problem giving my quilts away and don't hold onto them in my mind either. Someone occasionally asks me if I remember that so and so quilt I gave them years ago--Nooooooooo, can't remember. But I did that with sewing that I did before I started the quilting phase of my life. When it is out of my hands, it is out of my mind.....
Old 09-28-2014, 12:27 PM

I think the quilt is gorgeous. You did a very nice job on it. You could donate it if you wanted to. I myself see it hanging up quilted with leaves on it for the fall. But donation is also nice. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:14 PM

I agree with those who said to donate to a battered women's shelter.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Oh, Lord preserve us we pray from enjoying or using anything that might be "dated," whatever that means. Both quilts are beautiful--just as beauriful now as they were when they were new. If however, you cannot bear the thought of using something so "dated," by all means donate them to some place where someone will find them and use them with a thought only to their beauty. froggyintexas
Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I think the quilt is great. Do you WANT to get rid of it? I bet a local woman's shelter would love it. Or spruce it up with applique to make it your own. I would use it on the couch or take it to the picnic or use it in the camper.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:56 PM

I agree with clang in every aspect. She took the words right out of my mouth. I, too, keep one in my car and use one under my top quilt ( cold climate!) I've used one for a table topper, for a "picnic on the ground", etc. I say, keep them.