Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Aids From Funny Sources >

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
The thread about freezer paper made me think of this.

As a senior, and one whose body has run out of the warranty, I have medications that come in large plastic containers. The ones that are about four inches tall are wonderful for so many things in your quilting area. For example, I have a gazillion little rulers that I've collected over the last fifty or so years. They all fit nicely in these containers and can be seen easily and stored in a small area. The chubby shorter containers make great places to store small buttons. I have a machine that I use to test my blood and the strips that are used come in a four inch high plastic container with a tight fitting lid. So I take some decorated "duck" tape and wrap the container, then it is used to store needles. Not rocket science by any means, but instead of ending up in a land fill those plastic containers help me keep some semblance of order in my sewing room.
You can also lay a piece of duct tape sticky side up, line up a row of same size pill bottles, and wrap pretty duct tape around them to make a row of bottles that will hold more and take up very little real estate in your sewing room. My daughter did this in school and gave it to me for Christmas when she was very small. She said it was a toothbrush holder, but I used it on my desk because it was so cute.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I am a sucker for vintage planters, vases, refridgerator dishes, etc. I am always picking them up at flea markets, especially those with figures on them. I always try to find a use for them around the house so they won't just be dust collectors. Many have been put to use holding my quilting gadgets. They sit all around my sewing machine. The last one in the photo shows my vintage "girl" planter, which holds our sweet n' low packets in the kitchen!
Sewbizgirl- Great minds think alike, here is my toothbrush holder. Lol!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
Great ideas. I just need something I can put my used rotary cutting blades in - any ideas? I really worry about them as they can cut so quickly without noticing at first.
I tape mine to cardboard ( cereal box, etc.) and toss them in a washed medium vegetable can to collect them, then tape it shut, and label it used razor blades, so they will not hurt anyone now or in the future when some archeologist goes through the dump to see how we lived!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I tape mine to cardboard ( cereal box, etc.) and toss them in a washed medium vegetable can to collect them, then tape it shut, and label it used razor blades, so they will not hurt anyone now or in the future when some archeologist goes through the dump to see how we lived!

I use old check book boxes covered with contac paper by each machine. They fit well on the right side of the machines. I believe in recycling anything we can.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM

I find many notions in the kitchen. My mom had several old coated bread pans that were all scratched and stained. They make great holders for standing up small pattern envelopes or baggies filled with templates or cut quilt pieces. She also had one larger (6 mini loaf) pan that I use for sorting buttons, bobbins, clips or pins. Wooden spoons handles work great for turning tubes and the bowl works well for finger pressing seams open.

I also have several rounded river rocks that are very handy for pattern weights, door stops, hammer and one works well for keeping my foot peddle from running around.

Old mattress pads make great padding for pressing cloths and ironing board covers. The folded ironing board is also a great notion when used as a mini design wall.

From the bathroom- I have used old soap slivers for marking fabric, metal bandage boxes for sewing kit & bobbin boxes, some very yucky tasting dental floss for basting, old tooth brushes for cleaning machines, nail clippers for cutting thread and nail files for sharpening straight pins.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM

When my granddaughter was small she took a soup can, made it smooth and safe, and drew a pretty picture on some paper and glue the paper to the outside of the can. She personalized it, too. I put it on my sewing table and used it to hold colored pencils and small screw driver.
She now has four children of her own and I still use the holder.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM

I use colorful decorative cardboard boxes and desktop organizers for tools, pens, small rulers, templates, etc. one thing I have learned...I have to have a home for things or I can't remember where I left them!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
I use colorful decorative cardboard boxes and desktop organizers for tools, pens, small rulers, templates, etc. one thing I have learned...I have to have a home for things or I can't remember where I left them!
Amen to that!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

I use the small flushable wipe square containers to organize my drawers. clipped together with binder clips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clutter.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 02:16 PM

I was using the medication bottles from the pharmacy for my machine needles (DSM and LA), but don't have enough locking ones, so I switched to one of those 8 oz Nestle water bottles. I also reuse the ziplock bags and collect tins. I have used empty fruit bottles from Costco to hold spools of thread, the African baskets are great, and love Harbor Freight. I even recycled a nice wooden pen gift box my DH received and use it to hold some of my LA tools.

I have a fishing tackle box for a regular sewing box and a smaller one for bobbins and spare parts for my LA.

I also bought some brass planters from JoAnns on clearance and use them to hold my templates for my LA. I bought a map stand from a Borders store when they went of business 2 or 3 years ago and use it for my pantos and the crosshatch bar for my LA.