Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Quilts with cats in the house >

Using Quilts with cats in the house

Using Quilts with cats in the house

Old 06-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

My cat did chew the Soft Paws off the first few times but I kept putting them on and in about a month he never noticed them being on again. Just like other training, it takes a little time. One cat never noticed them at all, the other took a little patience. There are many different types of the claw covers, so it's easy to find the right fit for your cat.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 AM

I trim my boys' nails. They're both older now so I HAVE to trim their claws - both of them have an issue where their claws will grow so long they'll start to dig into their paw pads. My vet says this is fairly common with older male cats. So both of them get regular "paw inspections" and nail trimmings.

They hated it at first, but now I rub some butter onto my arm (they both LOOOVE butter) and they lick at that while I do the trimming and it's enough distraction. They're pretty used to the routine now, it's not a big deal anymore at all.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marshaKay View Post
If you think declawing is okay, then amputate your own fingers to the first bone and see how it feels. JUst sayin" AND walk on them........
This is not true, the claws are taken out. They do not cut the toes. After having four cats declawed I think I know what I am talking about.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
This is not true, the claws are taken out. They do not cut the toes. After having four cats declawed I think I know what I am talking about.
I do not wish to turn thus discussion into an argument. But facts are facts. Because the cat's nail is so closely adhered to the bone, in order to declaw, the first bone is removed. In order to understand the process, Google declawing a cat. There are many sites that are reliable such as PetMD. Before a cat owner puts a cat through this procedure, it is prudent to have an understanding of it and what it does to the cat. They are at our mercy.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Everyone knows what cats do - they scratch things. If your things are that important to you, maybe a small dog would be a better choice. Not really fair to bring them into the house and then make them have an operation to keep your things looking nice. JMHO.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 PM

I think SoftPaws are the caps that several people have mentioned, Onebyone.

I agree with not declawing the cats. It's very painful and harmful to them.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM

I have 3 cats and 4 cat posts. One is almost as tall as my ceiling with several perches.
They never claw any thing else except those small rugs that I get at the Dollar Tree.
Once one of my males brought me a present in the middle of the night, a piece of fabric from my sewing room.
Ive had other cats through the years but none have clawed anything except the cat posts. One I did have to go over to the post and show him how to claw it. It worked. They are smarter than you think.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:16 PM

I have 2 cats. One Siamese and one Mancune. I have not problem with either. They just sleep on them. I do have a scratching post for them. Maybe you could get them a scratch post.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM

As a fervent cat lover, I have to agree about not declawing. When I was much younger and didn't know a lot about cats, I was "chosen" to an adopt a neighborhood cat that was abandoned when his family moved away and left him.
I had him declawed. When he came home he could hardly walk and had to have shredded newspaper in his litter box.
Talk about guilt! It also spawned a new problem; instead of clawing things, he bit them.
i bet I made toilet paper companies very happy.

The guilt is still here after all the years. Just say "no".
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 PM

One would hope in this day and age, any vet undertaking such a barbaric procedure as declawing a cat would be struck from the vet register.
My kitty loves nothing more than sharing a comfy spot with me, and seriously, what's a few holes in a quilt, compared to mutilating your pet!?
Forgive me if this doesn't fit in with the happy ethos I so love about this board, but I cannot believe people think it's ok to do this.
So what if a quilt gets ruined, it's an excuse to make another... and another... and another lol