Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
I recently bought the Studio 2. I didn't know much about the cutters and asked for advice on the board. I worried about the cranking. Some people were raving about how good the electric model is, but after watching a number of videos, I decided that the speed of cranking was more to my own rhythm than waiting for the electric. My first problem was size. I bought the biggest and then had to deal with it. My DH stepped in and converted a rolling steel computer table that we no longer used into a cutting cart. Once that was done, I fell in love! This powerful machine cranks effortlessly even with 8-10 layers on the die. I ordered mine with 2 die bundles and 1 plastic bundle plus a couple of specialty dies. One thing I would caution you about is that some of the big dies are really heavy. The strip dies and other multiples can be a load to lift. I have each die stored flat-not stacked on my roomy cart and have found absolutely no other downside other than the weight of my biggest dies. My first week, I reduced several bags of scraps to useful precuts. I do not regret a single penny of my investment and do not regret going straight to the top of the line to get the commercial grade. I will try to attach a pic of my cart to give you an idea of how I have mine set up.
Can I come over and play??? That looks awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Once again, thank you, every single one, who chimed in!!
I have a lot to search and think over but I'm really thinking I want one!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 PM

Can you do strips on the sizzix big shot pro? I didn't see them listed. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 AM

I just can't imagine making a quilt without cutting all the fabric. I love every aspect of quilting. Although cutting can be tedious, precision cutting is an important part of the process. I love the challenge quiltmaking offers. It is also why I oppose pre-cut fabric. I love cutting my own. I think it all adds to the joys of quilting.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 AM

I acquired a GO. Thought I had the greatest deal. Did not come with dies, so I bought a 2.5" and 3" to cut strips. Thought that would be a good way to build up my dies a bit at a time, as I found which I would need the most.

So to make a long story short......I buy fabric by the yard so the GO is not convieniet to use. I don't want to waste any fabric by cutting it to size for the GO just to crank it thought the machine. Therefore, I have only used it 2-3 times in the past 2 years. Great for shops or individuals that use a lot of scraps. Not so great for yardage.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
I acquired a GO. Thought I had the greatest deal. Did not come with dies, so I bought a 2.5" and 3" to cut strips. Thought that would be a good way to build up my dies a bit at a time, as I found which I would need the most.

So to make a long story short......I buy fabric by the yard so the GO is not convieniet to use. I don't want to waste any fabric by cutting it to size for the GO just to crank it thought the machine. Therefore, I have only used it 2-3 times in the past 2 years. Great for shops or individuals that use a lot of scraps. Not so great for yardage.
The strip dies are my least favorite. For me, it is easier to just cut strips with a rotary cutter. Love the other dies, though.

Did not like my Go at first because of the pre-cutting. All the demo's on YouTube seem to work with pre-cut fabric. Like it a lot better now, since I realized that I can run yardage through the Go without lots of pre-cutting. With yardage, what you can do is leave the fabric folded as it comes off the bolt (2 layers of fabric), then fold again (bringing fold to selvedges) so you have 4 layers -- perfect for running through the machine.

If the fabric is a little wider than the Go opening, it is no problem -- the excess will still run under the roller. The biggest issue with using yardage is managing the excess yards falling off the machine, but I have that problem when rotary cutting too. That's why it's easier to work with a yard of fabric at a time. However, it can still be done with 2 or 3 yards uncut too.

After the first run under the roller, I just move the die under the fabric and run the whole thing back in the other direction. You can do yardage easily this way without pre-cutting.

As for waste, there isn't much. It's very similar to the waste from rotary cutting. If you have double-folded as described above, anything you can't use towards the end of the width unfolds into 2 larger pieces of scrap fabric. Trim off strings, and you can run the scraps through the Go with a smaller die.

It took me a long time to realize that it's fine to have excess fabric running under the roller. Once I figured that out, I enjoyed my machine a lot more. Still don't care for the strip dies, though.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 PM

I may have to invest in one of these machines. I've worked typewriters, adding machines, calculators, computers, etc. for about 60 years. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both arms; had bone-shortening surgery with insertion of a metal plate for stability for each arm (I had a difference in the length of the bones in my forearm which was causing ligament damage). Ultimately, the plates had to be removed, so there were three surgeries on each arm, none of which were real pleasant. But, they worked. My hand surgeon prescribed a MicroSoft Natural Keyboard, and while it's a real pain to get used to, it really does help, a lot. So far, I have had no problems with cutting, but I don't want to have any either. My problem is, I really just don't have enough room!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
I bought the Go BIg about 10 months ago. My shoulders were hurting and the cutting was not helping any. I LOVE my Go, especially for strips!!!! I'm picky about what dies I buy because they are spendy. I have the 2 1/2 and 3 inch strip dies, the 2 1/2, 3, 4 1/2, 5, 8 and 10 inch block dies because that's what I use most. My next one will be a 2 inch strip because that's what I use for log cabin.
Me too! Love my GO BIG! My DH told me a couple of Christmases ago when it first came out to get one because I would use it. And I do. The dies are pricey but I wait for a sale and get enough for free shipping. I think I still prefer cutting strips by hand but then I use the strip dies and think maybe not.
I store my big dies flat - each to their own shelf - and plan on setting the GO up on a station with the dies and accessories all together. When I find an appropriate piece of furniture to convert.

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 08-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hi everyone, after spending days cutting up my fabrics for Shakespeare in the Park I started looking at the Accuquilts- I was actually floored by the costs but intrigued by the value of having one. Of course my favorite is the most expensive one.
Somehow I can't justify the cost though. Each die costs a fortune.
I can afford it but do I need it? I guess I'd like to know if you think it's a good investment.
I do a lot of quiltmaking.
Can you weigh in on this?
I also don't know anyone who has one so I've never seen it.

Thanks
Sue
For me I was intrigued. Want not need. Then I found a deal. A woman's daughter who didn't sew was selling all of her moms stuff when she moved to assisted living. I bought the GO and probably 15 dies including strips and squares for 300$. Most of the dies and mats too were unopened. Hadn't ever used it. Then I wanted to make an EPP hexy quilt. Accuquilt happened to have it on sale for 30% off. Bought it and never looked back. I had to make 300 hexies. The die cuts the paper AND the fabric. Love it. I'm not really a diehard quilter I do varietal sewing much more likely to do appliqué or a tumbler quilt. Hate cutting.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Mengler, you got a great deal!! Glad you're enjoying it.