Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design board >

Design board

Design board

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The felt is also great for practicing quilting on the longarm. (I got that tip when taking a class from Margaret Solomon Gunn.)
That is a fantastic idea! Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i don't have a wall in any practical spot to put a design wall for anything bigger than a baby quilt.
instead, i suspended an 8-foot metal closet pole from the ceiling in my sewing space.
-two decorative hooks with dry-wall wings, then hung pose using dirt-cheap shower curtain rings.
bought a queen-size sheet, which hangs from the pole using more dirt-cheap shower curtain rings.
i also hung a strong binder clip from each of the "sheet rings", which will hold a finished quilt.

the whole thing hangs just in front of my stacks of fabric/notion storage drawers.

i pin my blocks to the sheet as the design grows.

when i want it out of the way so i can fish around in the drawers, i just push it all to the side.
if i ever need it completely out of the way i can take the whole thing off the pole and fold it up.
Patrice, this is genius! I can hang mine in front of the bookshelves full of fabric, because I've been worried that it will get sunbleached.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM

I used a gray flannel from Jo Ann's. I covered 2 4' x 8' panels of insulation board. At first, I joined them together and sewed the flannel together to make 1 piece to cover the joined boards. I had it propped up in front of my bookcases of my stash. But I found it too awkward to move it when I wanted to get at my fabric, so I took the seam out and untaped the panels. I then wrapped each one separately, covered them with the flannel, and propped them up next to each other. This works really well for me now.

Leslie
Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 AM

I used a piece of form insulation board left over from building our house. Covered it with strips of leftover cotton batting and stood it against the wall. Works great and no extra expense.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
............This works really well for me now.
.......... the most important words of all!

We each need to remember what works for one, does not necessarily work for others.
....for design walls, and most anything in life!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 AM

Dollar store flannel backed table cloths tacked up. Work great and are cheap...like me.

Watson