Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Old 07-02-2022, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
Well my day is off to a rip roarin' start. I was measuring one of my blocks to figure out new measurements for strips, I heard a dull thud outside and now I'm sitting in the dark.

Electric company has been called and my road is showing on the outage map, but there's no telling how long this is going to take and today we are supposed to see temps up near 100 with the heat index.
How long will it be out? What do you do for the fridge? Before moving there was many blue ice in the freezer so it kept a few hours. And we ran a generator occasionally for water, fridge and air. A generator is expensive but worth it.

After posting, saw that power is back. Critters can cause problems, living in ‘man’s’ world. There’s a tortoise here who’s shell appears to have been repaired and still travels down the road. Another is on the lawn and she looks fine. Hard to teach a tortoise new tricks. Lol.

Last edited by petthefabric; 07-02-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Here is my butterfly quilt. I am debating doing some extra stitching within the butterfly circles.
lovely. I agree on more quilting.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:58 AM

cjsews - that is so cute.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 AM

Default Update

Going to apologize early if my pictures seem off, I'm using a new phone and I don't have a complete handle on the camera just yet. They'll improve eventually, lol.

Okay, so here's what I'm working on. It's the Flower Chain quilt from MSQC. When I was working on this the first time last year, I was having problems with the coping strips around the flowers and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong or where to go from there, so I put the quilt away.

I made some changes today and I think it's going to work better. They had measurements for the strips that I had cut and they were accurate but I was at least a quarter inch too big for them. The blocks need to be ten inches so they can fit with the chain, so I couldn't just trim down the block to make the strips fit because I would lose too much and the block would end up less than ten. So I re-cut some long strips and I'm fitting them on just like Jenny did in the tutorial. But, I ran into another problem because when I was squaring them up, I was taking almost a full half inch on all four sides. I have an orphan block now because the squaring up went wonky on me and I didn't cut it straight, so I'm going to drop the width of the strips by a quarter inch.

Progress is progress.
Attached Thumbnails 20220702_081702.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 11:49 AM

Oh boy! Another VQW!!! Do I hear a Whoop??? lol

Finished quilt for PL ysterday and got it washed and dried befor my bed time. That makes 5 done for this month and one more week before the meeting next Sat. Have a cowboy boot quilt blocks on the design wall. Hopefully will have it done in time. Google cowboy boot quilts and yoiu'll see how cute these are. no...here's a link for Pintrest. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cowboy+boo...ages&ia=images
Old 07-02-2022, 12:55 PM

I got some more quilting done on the doodle quilt. It's being a bit of a bear to quilt because of the triple batting. I initially batted just the top using Hobbs cotton and doodle quilted the pic, then I added the wool batting and a layer of black cotton batting and the backing for the final quilting. But the triple layers of batting make it very springy and a bit hard to manage on the Sweet Sixteen LOL! Here's a pic.
img_3081.jpg
Rob

Last edited by rryder; 07-02-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:49 PM

I got my last corner tower designed, and appliquéd, the Berlin TV tower for DH, waiting to trim it to size once I start stitching the outside circle together.
Attached Thumbnails 0aa9f451-a32a-404c-b2b9-160599306de5.jpeg  
Old 07-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Love seeing everyone's pics of their work!

cjsews, I 'see' matchstick quilting in those butterfly centers...

And for T shirt quilt interfacing, I use Tricot Fusable Lightweight interfacing... Its a knit. You can cut pieces for about 4 shirts across the width, by how many inches tall the shirt fronts are.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Rob, please explain why you triple batt your art quilts.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:02 PM

tallchick--how are the HSTs coming along? They can get tedious after awhile!

Railroadersbrat--I'm glad the power is back on and you're able to work on your quilt. At first glance I thought they were Dresdens until I clicked on the picture. Cool pattern.

QuiltMom2--so glad inventory was positive for you. We make quilts at church and people are always donating fabric to us. Not always fabric we can use though so then we get to find it a home. We have couple ladies who are very good about keeping the fabric organized.

Snooze2978--sounds like you have quite the garden, I'm impressed.

Gemm--I hope you find your mojo. Sometimes just being around the fabric and looking at fabrics is all I want to do. Usually it motivates me to do something the next day but now always

cjsews--your butterflies quilt is lovely

Thimblebug6000--great pattern with such pretty colors. I might have to try the pattern for some of my charity quilts.

Well, I putzed around in the sewing room some but haven't really done anything. My mojo seems to be on vacation still. I really hope to work on something tomorrow after church and Monday also as the Yankees are off Monday.