Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How small of scraps do you save? >

How small of scraps do you save?

How small of scraps do you save?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM

I used to save everything even made several crumb quilts but found that I didn't like making them and that they also used tons of thread. Now I save anything 2" and larger for string blocks and other scrappy quilts. May in Jersey
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

I only keep usable bits...that said, I have always been fascinated by Noriko Endo's confetti landscapes...you need heaps of small bits for one of those...Anyone tried it?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I have been cleaning my sewing room and going through scraps. I love to applique, so I save all sorts of scraps, but I am starting to wonder, "How small is too small?" as in is it worth saving all the little pieces? I don't save anything that is less than about 1" by 1" but am thinking that I am wasting my time keeping these. What size is "too small" for ya'll? Bigger pieces go into organizers by color, but these little scraps end up in a big scrap bucket that seems to grow and grow.
I save squares as small as 1x1 inch, but nothing smaller. Someday when I have enough of them I plan on doing a carousel quilt with them. I love scraps and my friends are wonderful enough to give me theirs, which is like Christmas all during the year!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Tiffany - What is a carousel quilt?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 AM

I save just about all of my scraps and even the strings from squaring up and edges of battings and throw them into a spare popcorn tin, like the ones you get at Christmas. I use this for stuffing boxes that I am shipping to kids and gr. kids. The gr. kids love all the colorful snips and scraps that spill out of their packages. Daughters, not so much,,,haha. I have even grabbed long strings and used them to tie up gifts , instead of ribbon. Everyone knows that if they get a package from me , there will be some sort of scraps or strings falling out of it, and that's my MO.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
I have even grabbed long strings and used them to tie up gifts , instead of ribbon. Everyone knows that if they get a package from me , there will be some sort of scraps or strings falling out of it, and that's my MO.
Now that sounds like a good idea and a bit of fun.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 AM

good idea about the dog pillows. I might do that.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 AM

i save everything to i make soomething out of them being i have an embroidery machine i use them for applique i also take my thread and put it in an onion bag and hang it out and the birds use it to make in their nest lil bitty fabric they can pull and can go to
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
I save just about all of my scraps and even the strings from squaring up and edges of battings and throw them into a spare popcorn tin, like the ones you get at Christmas. I use this for stuffing boxes that I am shipping to kids and gr. kids. The gr. kids love all the colorful snips and scraps that spill out of their packages. Daughters, not so much,,,haha. I have even grabbed long strings and used them to tie up gifts , instead of ribbon. Everyone knows that if they get a package from me , there will be some sort of scraps or strings falling out of it, and that's my MO.
Oh! What a fabulous idea!!!! Now I'm bummed. I just donated several boxes of small, long, thin strips of fabric to a couple of friends of mine who do art quilts. I don't think they'd be willing to give them back to me so I could use them as packing peanuts. :lol:

Originally Posted by iamsogone
i save everything to i make soomething out of them being i have an embroidery machine i use them for applique i also take my thread and put it in an onion bag and hang it out and the birds use it to make in their nest lil bitty fabric they can pull and can go to
I do the same thing with my threads and the birds love them! It also makes it much easier to spot nests with. I wonder what my neighbors must think to see such colorful nests. :lol:
Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 PM

I use everything I use sliver of fab.... get the book fabric leftovers by D'Arcy - Jean Milne Simple, adaptable ways to use up scraps. It is an awsome book. It is a C&T Publishing book.
Put in a baggie and send my way before you toos them. I also have an embroidery machine and I have a jar by my machine all snippits of threads goes into.... sometimes when I am just watching TV I sort into color's in baggies.... They are wonderfull to embelish with... Sometimes I take the color I want of fab and cut it into confetti and use it in scarfs or on bags.... So many fun things to do with scraps.