Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I take it all apart? >

Should I take it all apart?

Should I take it all apart?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ezug
Dear CMinor
I am a newer quilter as well and I'm afraid I disagree with everyone - you sound as though you really love the look and idea of this quilt - although all the other comments about reminders of how you started, etc, are fine, I think you will be so excited with the chance to "start over" with the design and fabric you obviously love. Maybe you can turn on a movie or two or be a passenger on a long car ride and just rip those seams out mindlessly. The time will go by and then you'll feel renewed with the opportunity to do it the way you want to! You can even replace that stained white strip :)
It's an investment, but you'll love it even more when you get it done
Have fun -
I agree whole heartedly with this. Have done it before and probably will do it again also. I honestly do not think you will ever be happy unless you do fix it. So go for it! Ever wake up in the middle of the night with shoulda, woulda, coulda????? Well, you should! Edie
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Leave it and remember what you learned and what it meant to you to do it.

Several years ago I made my first and gave it to my mother for her birthday.
She loved it and never could see anything wrong with it (Isn't that typical for a mother anyway?)

She died Dec 28,2008 and I retrieved her quilt which now resides on my bed.
When I look at it now, I never see all the mismatched seams, or patched parts where I ran out of fabric; I see my mother. I would never change it.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Leave it alone....look at it and realize how much you have improved.

Everyone has a 'first quilt'.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM

i made a quilt for the first time in 10 years(my husband died right after he bouhgt my Brother pc6000,& haven't had the heart................)
made a small quilt for great-grand-daughter,finished it last week.SO many mistakes,but since Rylee is only 6 mo. old,don't think she'll notice. !!am starting a log cabin next.wish me luck !!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Ok, so a year or so ago, I made my first quilt. I cut purple and pick squares, had really bad seams and learned a lot! I put it together and turned it inside out (pillowcase method?). 6 months later, I finally decided to "quilt" it by SID. Well kind of SID. My rows were so off, there was no consistant ditch.

Now, I am thinking about taking it apart, fixing the bad seams, and binding it. But, I am not sure if I am ready to pull the plug. Or should I say, my seam ripper. Thats going to be hours of pulling stitches to get the sandwich apart.

I really like the quilt, but there are just so many things wrong with it. Not to mention the stain on the white strip of backing that makes me crazy every time I see it.

I would guess it would take me about 6 hours to pull the stitiches out. Should I do it?
You need to ask yourself how much time you want to devote to redoing this quilt or do you want to move on and make something new and better. You're the only one that can answer the question.

For me the answer is no, I wouldn't want to spend any more time on something that's basically done.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Does anyone know where I can get or do you have the Easy Pieces quilt pattern. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Keep your 1st quilt as you can show it in years to come to others look at all of my mistakes and look what I have learned!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM

May I say no quilt is perfect...not just the first one!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Ok, so a year or so ago, I made my first quilt. I cut purple and pick squares, had really bad seams and learned a lot! I put it together and turned it inside out (pillowcase method?). 6 months later, I finally decided to "quilt" it by SID. Well kind of SID. My rows were so off, there was no consistant ditch.

Now, I am thinking about taking it apart, fixing the bad seams, and binding it. But, I am not sure if I am ready to pull the plug. Or should I say, my seam ripper. Thats going to be hours of pulling stitches to get the sandwich apart.

Looks like you had a ton of replies but for what it's worth, call it a learning and keep it anyway. Don't waste your precious time taking it apart. Learn from the mistakes and issues, buy some new fabric and move on and enjoy working on a fresh new quilt.

I have a wall hanging I made and will NOT hang as it doesn't suit me but I went ahead and put a rod pocket on it and who knows, maybe one day one of descendants will opt to hang it. It's pretty but it was a working tool where I tried many new things and learned a lot along the way so it definitely was worth doing. Actually, instead of a wallhanging, it's a perfect fit for the end of a bed and really does dress up the bedroom so who knows but I won't be hanging it as I returned the rod I bought to hang it on.

Enjoy your quilting, mistakes and all. Most will never realize the mistakes are there.
Hugs
Patty

I really like the quilt, but there are just so many things wrong with it. Not to mention the stain on the white strip of backing that makes me crazy every time I see it.

I would guess it would take me about 6 hours to pull the stitiches out. Should I do it?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 PM

something wierd happen to my reply as it appended itself to the quote. Odd thing.
Patty