Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's Biscuit Quilts >

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm going to start using some scraps and start "my laundry basket" the next trip to my quilting room! I love this idea.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
One of the ladies recently shared her puff quilt and asked to see a photo and template of my biscuit quilts so here they are. The white one is a queen size that is about 2 inches too narrow for our deep mattress but it fits our guest room bed perfectly. Originally I found the idea and hexagon template in a magazine way back when. The date on the queen quilt is 1987-1990 but it sure seemed like I was sewing those little biscuits for a long time. The throw is made up biscuits leftover from the queen quilt. As a hand quilter, I prefer to use polyester batting and back then was using high loft as we had cold winters in IL. A few years ago I switched to low loft and it works just fine too. The reason I switched was my husband had a thyroid issue and the weight of my quilts really bothered his legs. Not it's no longer an issue but I found that I like working with the low loft batting and they are nice and warm as well.

I used scraps for the throw quilt.
1. using the template, you trace and cut each piece of fabric and and batting adding 1/4 inch seam line to each.
2. Sandwich with fabric right sides together and batting on top or bottom, however you prefer - yes I did sew the batting into the seams.
3. Sew the sides but leave one side open to turn the piece right side out and then hand sew that end closed.
4. I stored them in a laundry basket until I had enough to work with and then I put them together.
5. In the meantime, I was working on another queen sized quilt.
Patty
how did you hook them together
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM

I love the biscuit quilts. I have always wanted to try them but haven't yet. Yours are gorgeous!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Hi Elsie,
Yes and I think you would enjoy making them as well. I found my plastic template at JoAnn's and you can find them in a couple of different sizes. When I first started I traced a pattern from a magazine and traced onto the back of a cereal box and over the years of course had to make a new one as they would wear down from too much tracing. Just as I was finishing up my throw I discovered the plastic template at our JoAnn's and bought it so I'm all set to do another one and I do plan to begin one soon as my oldest granddaughter and first grandchild 17 recently told me that my biscuit quilt is her favorite of all of my quilts. I suspect because she used to nap with it frequently during stay overs at our house and it brings back those memories of happy times with Grammy. Since we relocated from IL to FL, when she comes she always asks to use that throw which really warmed my heart. I need to put her name onto it so that she'll eventually get it if it survives and it appears to be wearing amazingly well. Recently I had to put together about 6 of those seams as I did them by hand. They probably could be done on a machine with a blanket, zigzag or other stitch but I'm not fond of that type of sewing. Piecing and sewing I'm fine but once the quilt gets too large to handle with ease, no thank you although it could probably be done in sections and then combined in the middle.

Enjoy. They are colorful and fun. As I said I use the polyester batting that comes in bags at JoAnn's and even walmart carries but JoAnn's is lighter and I prefer it - high loft for this project but low would work for a lighter weight quilt depending on where you live. Buy a queen and you'll have more than enough to do quilts for both grandchildren. If the queen batting is unwieldy for you, cut a yard off and work with it to cut as needed and you'll be fine.
Hugs
Patty
Please share a photo when you complete it.

Originally Posted by Elsie
Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by Elsie
nice something new to think of is the back the same as the front to make it reversible that been nice i think but it looks good thank you
Many of my pieces are the same fabric front and back but like with all scrap quilts, sometimes you have enough for one side but not enough for two so then I used a different fabric and didn't worry about. It's a very efficient use of scraps as eventually you'll have enough of the little biscuits for a nice quilt.
i have try it on my machine i really like it it be nice to make for my two young grandson one 5 and the other is 8 so it be perfect for them
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Oh My Word, they look just like biscuits. That is so neat.
They are and they are fun. Mine often lives on the back of my sofa and makes the room look homey and cosy as well. This says a lot where we live as many of the homes around us were decorated by designers. Not us. We did ours and it reflects that both of us live here and everyone compliments us on how comfortable our home is. It's not a show piece but is homey and welcoming.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I'm going to start using some scraps and start "my laundry basket" the next trip to my quilting room! I love this idea.
I now use a collapsible laundry basket that can be found anywhere - grocery stores, Ace Hardware, Walmart, Kmart, Target. They don't cost much at all. They don't take up a lot of space and can be folded up and stored behind a dresser or in a closet when not in use. While you are filling it, it can be easily moved around to accommodate your needs. When I'm heavily involved with patchwork piecing I also use one. As I work with a fabric, I store it in there. Once the armoire is emptied out and I'm starting over again with the fabrics they are placed back into the armoire and the process is repeated as needed. If I'm not using pieces from everything in the armoire, then I work between 2 of these collapsable baskets and of course eventually everything does go back into the armoire until I start trashing the room and stash again. LOL

I'm currently working on a quilted sweatshirt jacket for a gift and when finished I'll be using the scraps for probably a hot pad for my friend and then will try and make a few biscuits. From this point on, as I piece, I plan to take a moment with each fabric used and make 1 biscuit for future use.

Until recently, all my of my quilts were tied to one another by having fabrics in common but since the move 5 years ago, my stash was so hard hit that now I'm using mostly newer fabrics so that connection between quilts isn't there but this little biscuit quilt could be used to tie quilts together. Since my quilts all go to family (husband, children, 7 grandchildren) everything I make is looked at as a potential gift down the line for one of them.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by annette1952
I love the biscuit quilts. I have always wanted to try them but haven't yet. Yours are gorgeous!
This one is very easy to make. You can even make them as squares or go to JoAnn's or quilt shop and look for a plastic template to use. They really are fun to make.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM

I've tried to reply to everyone who's replied, commented or asked questions. If I missed you, please reply again or send a PM by clicking on my name. OK. This is really a fun quilt to make and I think you'd enjoy making them.
Hugs
Patty
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

I love your biscuit quilts!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
I love your biscuit quilts!! Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you Pam
Patty