Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe? >

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Just a thought--is there a particular fabric you don't like? Would you be able to replace just one or two of the fabrics and still keep what drew you to it in the first place?[/quote]

I vote for this approach also. If you purchased from LQS, take fabrics back and ask for some assistance in finding a fabric that changes the color story to suit your taste. You have to pick out the fabric that is not working for you. The main print is probably fine...so it must be one of the other players in the group.

I'm a big fan of kits, generally, especially if you see something made up that you just love, or if there are a zillion fabrics that you could never find and coordinate together.

Keep in mind that many designers of patterns, particularly who work with fabric companies, are limited to using fabrics from one line or group of fabrics. They have to put them all in there. When you pull the fabrics apart, there many be one or two that are not your favorites, but they worked in the overall piece. If you can afford it, it's not a sin to pull one out and substitute something else from your stash that you love.

One hint about using kits is to try to use them shortly after purchase, rather than years later. That way if you make a mistake or find you need more fabric, someone is likely to still have it in their store. Always keep the info where the kit was purchased with the kit so you can contact them if there is a problem. Most stores will do what they can to help you if you need more fabric due to an error, on their part or yours. ;-)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Well, that's too bad. Why don't you try and take it all back and show it to them? If you have to "eat it" why don't you use the same pattern so you don't have to spend money on that?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM

I am a quilt kit person. I like the convenience and I am not good at matching fabrics. I've never had any problems with any kits I've purchased either on-line or in a shop.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

I've never tried a quilt because I'd heard people say that they run out of fabric (yikes!). Lately I've been doing BOM's and I get a package of fabric with no clue to what goes where except to use the picture as a guide. The fabrics are not the same ones in the picture and so I choose what sort of looks like the picture. Pretty confusing. I ran out of fabric for the one I'm working on now, but had plenty in my stash to work with.

I guess the point is that if you're going to do these sort of kits, you'll have to be prepared to be flexible. Otherwise, you'll find yourself pretty frustrated.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 AM

I have purchased two kits both with center panels in them. I found the material to be good quality, good directions, colors match but in both instances the center panel size did not match the size needed. I had to adjust the rest of the pattern to match the panel in the Autumn Visitor Kit even after the company sent me a second panel. (Thought it had shrunk when I washed it, but that wasn't the case). The second kit, Snow Chalet, also had a problem with the center panel. The company sent another one as well. I have not been quilting that long but with perserverence got them done and they turned out as pretty as the pictures on the pattern.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM

I have bought several quilt kits over the years and other than them being rather stingy with the amount of fabric I have had no problem with them. With the exception of one.....I bought a kit from Fons and Porter. The fabric was not even close to what the kit showed. I think I got every piece of junk fabric that store had. I went to their store, which is about 60 miles from my home . I called first and was told they had the kits. When I got there they said they would have to make one up and send it to me. when I received it in the mail, I refused it. I wouldn't even pay for postage to send it back. they sent me a pre-paid postage envelope to return it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mms61371
I purchased a quilt kit for my grandson from my LQS. The fabrics looked adorable, they were cowboy themed. I have had it for about 2 weeks now. I washed the fabrics, ironed them, and cut them out using the "Take 5" pattern. As I was hanging them on the design wall when I realized I did not like the fabric at all. They may have looked good folded together, but on the wall it looked horrible. I call my DD over to let her take a look just to see if I was being over critical. My DD took one look at it and said the same thing I had been thinking all along. I am really upset with myself. I am on a very tight budget and the fabric costs $65.00 for the kit not including the pattern which was $8.00. This was the first time I purchased a quilt kit, I'm not sure I will do it again. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Now I am back searching for new fabric and a new pattern. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought.

Thank you for reading (listening) , I just needed to vent. :cry:
I understand venting completely; do it all the time

I've never bought a kit for 2 or 3,4 reasons -
1. they're expensive ( doesn't a pattern usually come in a kit, seems crazy if not; is one suppose to know what to do by magic)
2. I don't want to see the same quilt everywhere.
3. It doesn't reduce my stash of yardage.
4. kits always have struck me as a form of cheater cloth.
5. I just hate other people making decisions for me

If the attachments work out this is a picture of one of the 9 I Spy (circles appliqued to her favorite colour background) quilts I've made for friends with novelty fabrics related to their lives.

No batt; I used a beautiful fleece backing which all the quilt recipients loved; but I'd never use again. Janice Cutting in NH who does my machine quilting said it was a nightmare becaused it stretched on her longarm. She did a fabulous job on two of them and I'd never subject her to it again (I promised)

Susan's Quilt - 2008
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88585[/ATTACH]

Susan's Quilt - detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88586[/ATTACH]

Labels for Susan's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88592[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88580.jpe   attachment-88581.jpe   attachment-88587.jpe  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM

I bought a kit, saw the picture and actually saw one completed. Loved it. It was Hoffman fabrics, beautiful, but if I would have made one 1" mistake, I would not have had enough material. So now I just find the pattern and get my own material, this way I know I have enough material. And there are so many free patterns on the internet I fiure I should never have to pay for a pattern again. You luck to you.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM

I would just make the quilt.It may surprise you when it is all together. Sometimes the fabric I dislike the most is the one that pops the quilt. LIke a happy accident. Good Luck
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM

I stay away from kits after finding I didn't like the fabric substituted or it didn't have enough fabric to complete the quilt. It can be very maddening.