Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke >

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 PM

When we were in the Air Force, I sewed on lots of stripes and took up plenty of hems of pants...not just my hubby's either.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM

I used to carry a kit with me when I had the kids and when I worked. I think anymore a lot of people don't have a needle and thread--goes along with the disposable society I guess as well as lots of non-sewers.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
I used to carry a kit with me when I had the kids and when I worked. I think anymore a lot of people don't have a needle and thread--goes along with the disposable society I guess as well as lots of non-sewers.
You know, I can probably count on one hand how many days this year my hand did not touch a needle or pin. Sewing is practically like breathing for me. It's woven into the fabric of my life!

Reading all the posts in this thread is really eye opening. I didn't realize that sewing was such a rare skill and was not being done by most people. I know quilting is in a revival and millions of people in America quilt, maybe more than ever. I live within 15 miles of 7 different quilt shops.

But your point is well taken that not sewing is a way of life that goes with a disposable society. If a hem pulled out or a button pulled off, you take it to the cleaners? That would never occur to me!

I guess I was struck by this right now because I am reading the Passage by Justin Cronin. The book deals with the renewal of American society after a cataclysmic event.

People who survive have basic skills for living. They know what to eat -- how to get it and how to prepare it. They know how to cover themselves from the cold with clothing and bedding. They know how to make trees into heat.

My business is quilting and I hang out with a lot of quilters and gardeners, with husbands who fish and hunt. I guess that not knowing what to do with a needle would be both depressing and laughable to anyone who has ever visited us. Maybe sewing is a country and suburban thing, and not sewing is a city thing? I don't know. I'm just asking....
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by kd124
You know, I can probably count on one hand how many days this year my hand did not touch a needle or pin. Sewing is practically like breathing for me. It's woven into the fabric of my life!

Reading all the posts in this thread is really eye opening. I didn't realize that sewing was such a rare skill and was not being done by most people. I know quilting is in a revival and millions of people in America quilt, maybe more than ever. I live within 15 miles of 7 different quilt shops.

But your point is well taken that not sewing is a way of life that goes with a disposable society. If a hem pulled out or a button pulled off, you take it to the cleaners? That would never occur to me!

I guess I was struck by this right now because I am reading the Passage by Justin Cronin. The book deals with the renewal of American society after a cataclysmic event.

People who survive have basic skills for living. They know what to eat -- how to get it and how to prepare it. They know how to cover themselves from the cold with clothing and bedding. They know how to make trees into heat.

My business is quilting and I hang out with a lot of quilters and gardeners, with husbands who fish and hunt. I guess that not knowing what to do with a needle would be both depressing and laughable to anyone who has ever visited us. Maybe sewing is a country and suburban thing, and not sewing is a city thing? I don't know. I'm just asking....
I think we live for the most part in a fast paced society who doesn't take the time to do anything as time consuming as quilting and sewing. We as quilters live in a needle zone but this conversation made me realize there are a lot of people who don't even know what a needle is! It was an eye opener that I hadn't thought about. I just assumed everyone had access to a needle and thread but they don't always.

My mom isn't a sewer but she always had a button tin that had needles and thread for hemming and fixing buttons. I guess this is an old fashioned idea to the newer generations to some degree. Those who don't have moms who sew don't have any connection to the idea of keeping a kit on hand.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 AM

Many years ago a workshop for our Chirstmas Bazaar, the ladies were sewing button eyes on snowmen. I had ot teach the one lady how to do it - her husband had always sewed on the buttons! And he had passed away many years ago. A good friend of our son - they had gone almost all thru school together and spent many days and nights here - asked if I could patch his jeans for him. He didn't know anyone else that sewed! Easy leg patches, a form of FMQ almost - I just zigged and zagged those patches down good!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have to laugh at this one. We went to SD to see my son and his family over the weekend. Of course I took a tote bag full of quilting "stuff". My husband gave me all kinds of heck for taking it. We were out looking at RV's and he took a great big step to get in to one of them and ripped the crotch right out of his pants. LMAO!!!! He ran to get back in the jeep. He asked me if I had a needle and thread. Of course I did and I made him sew it up himself. My quilting obsession saved the day.
LMAO as well :lol: ! My DH wouldn't know what to do with a needle and thread...I'm sure glad I do! :mrgreen:
Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jojo47
I have to laugh at this one. We went to SD to see my son and his family over the weekend. Of course I took a tote bag full of quilting "stuff". My husband gave me all kinds of heck for taking it. We were out looking at RV's and he took a great big step to get in to one of them and ripped the crotch right out of his pants. LMAO!!!! He ran to get back in the jeep. He asked me if I had a needle and thread. Of course I did and I made him sew it up himself. My quilting obsession saved the day.
LMAO as well :lol: ! My DH wouldn't know what to do with a needle and thread...I'm sure glad I do! :mrgreen:
My DH learned to sew in the army. He had to be able to patch socks etc when he needed to. He is much better at mending than I am. I hate to mend. He can sew a seam by hand quite well. Tho his coordination is affected by his health now but when he is feeling well he does do some mending if needed.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
When we were in the Air Force, I sewed on lots of stripes and took up plenty of hems of pants...not just my hubby's either.
I used to sew the new rank patches on shirts for the people in my DH's USMC shop when he was still on active duty. I earned cash for my stash.
Sharon W.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by jojo47
My DH learned to sew in the army. He had to be able to patch socks etc when he needed to. He is much better at mending than I am. I hate to mend. He can sew a seam by hand quite well. Tho his coordination is affected by his health now but when he is feeling well he does do some mending if needed.
One of my sons-in-law patches by hand...out of necessity! My DD had no interest whatever in sewing, but she does have quite a sense of color...and I did make quite a few prom dresses for her and her sisters!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM

In my sewing basket. I use to have a little purse kit Ikept in my purse. Not sure where it is now.