Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Material for a quilt >

Buying Material for a quilt

Buying Material for a quilt

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm always buying fabric. Usually 1 yard if I really like it. Then when I plan a quilt, I'll pull what I have that works and then go and buy whatever I'm missing. I usually wait until the quilt is all pieced before I think of the backing. This is because it takes me forever to finish a quilt top.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM

I purchased a pattern WEDDING MEMORIES online from Quilter's World hoping to make for DD for Xmas since she was married last Oct. This started my quilting experience :lol: I've made a tablerunner now but it's not that great so I'll take it apart and correct my mistakes, if I can. Anyway I'm looking for material but the pattern also does have 6 slots to put photos but I think I may do iron-on transfer or the other I can't remember what it's called :mrgreen: The pattern uses Love's Promise collection by Bessie Pease. I've contacted Quilting Treasures and they no longer carry the material. What I'm concerned about the the bridal stripe that's the border. I'm sure you Ladies have ideas about what I should do and I do need your help, Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM

I usually buy all of my fabric at the same time for the top. I like to make blended quilts and keep most of my fabrics from similar fabric lines. I love to shop from Hancock's of Paducah.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 PM

I don't think I've ever bought all the fabric for a project all at once!
This summer I bought several fabrics intended for my next project, but I reserve the right to replace any of them if whatever else I find suits me better!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

In the beginning , I would buy all my fabric before I started a quilt. It did not take me long to realize buying border and binding fabric did not always look like I had imagined it would. So I do not buy until my top is complete. For me the top will let you know what the best choice should be.
Donna
Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM

i am new to quilting also..sometimes i buy all the material i need at once, and sometimes i just buy for top..
I live in Rock Hill SC..about 30 mins from Charlotte.
I have bought material in MA.,VA.,Tenn.,and Charlotte..also on line..
Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Find material you like because you are putting in a lot of time into it and it will last a long time. You can always use the material you have bought for a different project.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM

I usually purchase the whole top at one time, but sometimes I wait to purchase the boarders. But I never purchase the backing till much later.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM

I usually get fabric for the main part of the quilt first, then I get border fabric after the top is put together. I don't get backing until the whole top is done. Sometimes, I piece my backs from any fabrics left over, or larger pieces of fabric I happen to have on hand.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I usually don't get all the fabric at once. I always like to use out of my stash as much as possible. Sometimes I pick one piece of fabric for a main fabric and then see what I have to go with it. If I don't have all I need then I shop some more. And most of the time I like to get the quilt made and then see what I need for borders. Backing fabric...I really try to find something that is on sale!