Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Mariner's Compass >

My Mariner's Compass

My Mariner's Compass

Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Very, very pretty, love it!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Nice quilt, I love the mariner's compass.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Stunning! A real keeper.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Mariner's Compass and Storm at Sea. What a perfect combination, and how perfectly done!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Mariner's Compass and Storm at Sea. What a perfect combination, and how perfectly done!

My thoughts exactly!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by msariano
Love it. I notice you put bits of red in the storm at sea pattern; it kinda makes it twinkle. or is it my computer screen?
Nope, they are there to add a bit of sparkle. Couldn't use yellow since none is in the compass. Jan
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by barbsmith
Your quilt is just beautiful. I can't imagine trying something this involved. Great job!
Neither could I when I started it and then when I got the compass done, it sat there because I had no clue what to do next. Then Northwest Quilters had done a quilt quite similar but not as big a compass. I found the photo and called the maker who is a friend of mine who is also in my quilt group, and she gave me permission to use that same idea. She was a big help for me to bounce ideas off of and she gave good ideas, like put the whole outside border of Storm at Sea together and then appliqué the center to it. I would have done the opposite, doing each corner first. Turned out she was so right. Yes I tried it my way first, and it didn't work, so I had to "unsew" a few blocks first. :( :( :(
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi19
That is so beautiful! My husband is constantly encouraging me to make a mariner's compass(we have a sailboat), but the paper piecing worries me. The one you made is absolutely perfect!
Actually that was the easy part. Using the paper piecing method makes for wonderful points. I was worried about the center becoming a mountain, but then I remembered that some one smarter than me told me to sew it from the center out, both ways. Worked like a charm. and my point matched. Then when I took the paper out, i turned to the back and put my forefinger down and twirled it so it made a sort of star in the middle of the back of the compass, and prevented the mountain or hole. So there is "two tips" for you. Now start on something small to just give it a try. Really it isn't that hard. figuring out the undulation around the inside edge was a challenge tho. :oops:
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
WOW!!! He will treasure it!! Great job!
I called him after he got it home and I asked if it was on his bed, and he said"No it is to nice to have on the bed, it might get dirty.'. i told him he better put it on there right now!!! I worked too hard on that Damn quilt for you to stick it in a box some where. Just take it off at night when you sleep, if you want. I haven't been there yet, but it better be on the bed when I arrive or fur is going to fly. Just might bring it back home. HaaHaa, shall we bet about whether I can get to the car with it? Nope not me. But I might get my point across!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. This was my first posting and I wasn't sure if it would go thru. Just know, you can do this one also. The old saying "If I can do it so can you!" is appropriate. It isn't hard, it just takes time and patience! I promise!!!
Jan