Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Book - Highly Recommend >

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Old 10-10-2010, 03:43 AM

http://www.hearthsidequiltersnook.com/
This one opens.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 AM

I have Maggie Malone's book that is very simular. I may get me one of these two. It's so hard to find a good quilting book anymore.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
wow they must have caught on that you guys were buying this book, it is now around $24 for new
Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 AM

I took my very first quilting class years ago at the community college and the teacher said if you only have one quilting book this is the one to have. I have used it many times.Carol
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 AM

(In response to the first quilters book review): What level of expertise does one need to do these blocks? They look very complicated to this newbie!!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 AM

I have a book very similar to the pages pictured, but I really don't understand it. It's called 500 Full Size Patchwork Patterns. It breaks the blocks down into the rows in the block. It numbers every piece that makes up the block. Then, I guess you have to go trace the pieces on paper and that makes your block.

No cutting directions, no size suggestions for the pieces that make up the block. No directions for the order you sew to make the block.

I, overall, am not happy with this book. It takes a math genius to figure any of this out. I might have to post this one in the classifieds and see if I can buy the one mentioned here. It sure looks cool.

In addition to pattern pictures, are there directions on what size the pieces should be, assembly instructions or anything like that?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 AM

I have the original version of this book, not much printed in color in it. I love it. I learned a lot from it. It does NOT offer specific measurements for specific blocks. It is not a pattern book to create a specific quilt.

Rather, it shows you ways to look at most any quilt block and figure out the grid used to make it. I think of this as a concept book for breaking down the basic units that go into blocks. It has helped me look at quilts and blocks a different way. I can now look some (not all!) quilts in a show, or pictures posted here on the board, or in a catalog, and can figure out the basic blocks and grids that construct it. I've created several basic blocks on my own, in the size I wanted, after coming to understand better through this book how blocks are put together. I suppose you can learn the same things playing around with EQ 6 or 7, but I don't have them and enjoy playing with grids on paper.

It also offers an introduction to value and shows how you can get very different looking quilts from the same blocks, depending on how you vary the color/value placement of fabric in the block. It shows you ways to think about combining two blocks to get secondary patterns where the blocks intersect, making some very interesting designs. It also discusses "dropping off" some of the block to clean it up and create interesting patterns. I think this book is a launching point for creativity.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Ahhh ok. It'll end up being similar to the book I have then. It's still difficult for me to wrap my head around the math needed to construct. I have been looking at quilts differently here, trying to see the parts that make them up.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 AM

Just ordered a used coppy from amazon - thanks for the tip
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Google it and you get other sites that sell it also.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCkQ8wIwAg#