Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting threads fabrics >

Connecting threads fabrics

Connecting threads fabrics

Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what kind of fabric connecting threads has. I love some of what I see, and I just wonder what quality it is. Is it Hancock and JoAnn quality or closer to a local quilt shop quality? I am trying to watch my money, as things are tight, and am currently using most of my stash. I love to make quilts for charity but with money so tight right now, I may have to stop for a while. Anyway, let me know what you think.
The new lines that they have are different than their other fabrics have been The batiks are wonderful!!! Silky and fine feeling. The Mirage is also silky with a very soft hand. When they first came out with fabric, I didn't like it at all - too coarse and very raveley. Quality has improved grately. I have ordered both mirage and batiks and will be getting more batiks very soon, now that DH has a job!

Bought books at Amazon.com yesterday. Still need to get more. I have 2 years to catch up on. DH didn't have a problem with me ordering. I think he thinks that because I'm ordering on line, I'm not spending as much as I used to when I had a LQS to go to. I try to get the amount that gives free shipping. I just order more frequently!

Their thread is wonderful and practically lint-free!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM

Just received my first order from them on Friday. I was very pleased. A fat quarter sampler, jelly rolls and a few spools of thread. I have no complaints at all. The fabric is great. Not LQS quality but it's not Hancock either in my opinion. For the price it's worth it to me. The thread it great too. I've been using that today too.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:39 PM

I've ordered fabric in the past from CT, found it to be better than JoAnn and a little under Quilt Shop quality. I'm waiting for my order now of Mirage, hoping it will be OK even though they have lowered the price! I, too, like their thread, even on my Tin Lizzie long arm. On the True Cut rotary blade sharpener from Nancy's Notions, I had to wait almost 4 months for delivery, but it really works! Have been waiting 3 months for the Harbor Freight rotary blades, hopefully they will come soon.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM

i really like thier fabric and kits! never a problem with them, great customer service,prices,shipping.very generous cuts in thier kits too..

and yes, the colors are muted. have not tried the batiks yet.
And Yes, America is America, not the USA.

i have LQS fabrics,they shred like crazy too..

Made in the USA is a selling ponit in anything i buy..but seriously,if you took out everything in your house,that wasn't made in the US of A, including your food..it would be half empty..or more. i am betting more.

i have never been a fabric snob, i just want it to feel nice, and not be able to see my hand behind it.

i would suggest anyone who is not confident in picking out coordinating colors to order one of thier kits.the prices for kits are a big plus too.

be aware, that as they come out with new lines, eventually the older fabrics lines will run out..just like any other LQS.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM

Good Morning from Florida!
I just received an order from Connecting Threads and I'm going to place another order. The fabric is similar to your LQS, but not as pricey (which makes me extremely happy. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: )
I don't know about any other online fabric stores to purchase from, but CT is great in my book.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 AM

Take a look at FABRIC SHACK. I have had very good luck with them. at usually great prices.
Judy
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 AM

I order alot of my fabric from Connecting Threads and have always been satisfied. Our nearest JoAnn's is 60 miles away and I much prefer Connecting Threads material to there's. We do have a Ben Franklin that carries material but it almost all the expensive, expensive ones or seconds.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 AM

I haven't purchased any (yet) but a friend loves their kits. the fabrics in the kits are good quality. I'm thinking of ordering the batik samplers they have in the catalog.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by e4
First, I have never bought from Connecting threads, which was the original question, and I hate to hijack a thread, but I would like to know why people seem to think the fabric is 100% US made. Connecting Threads website says they use 100% US cotton and they display the Cotton USA label. However, all that label means is that the cotton was grown in the US, not that the fabric is made here. In fact, if you read the site carefully, some fabrics clearly state they are printed overseas. The reality is that the fabric probably was not woven in the US, nor printed in the U.S. Does someone have other information that shows otherwise? I can't find anywhere on the site that it says the fabric actually is made in the U.S.
You are right; it is another marketing trick to make us think we are buying American. But I do like their fabric. Their kits are of an excellent quality, and I feel they provide excellent service.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 AM

oops-forgot--If you have not tried the Essentials thread it works great for thread painting. I use a combination of Essentials and Marathon in my thread painting. Both reasonably priced, especially when they run a special on them.
Be aware Marathon is a poly thread, but it is great for thread work, has a bit of sheen to it and reflects the light beautifully.