Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM

A couple years ago, Christmas came to fast for me! I sewed simple Xmas stocking, went at the dollar store to fill them. The kids really enjoyed them
Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 AM

I have given up trying to sew for Christmas. I have learned when it stresses you it then has become work not what we all "enjoy" doing. I now sew for birthdays.

I think your grandkids would love having grandma with them to do small special things with them. Cookies, a story read,watch their favorite movie with them etc.
In a time that has become more materialistic I think we all need to step back and find the simple again.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM

You poor dear!!! I'd buy the presents this year and alleviate your stress. You can always work on your intended presents for next year. There's no need to add more stress to your life right now especially with only a few more weeks before Christmas. Treat yourself to a break and buy your gifts. If you cannot afford to buy, then maybe pillowcases would work instead.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
Great ides for small girls, now what about the boys? :D
Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Those pillow cases are SEW easy and FAST. Takes about 20 minutes to whip one up (AFTER you figure out the turn thing lol!) I made 10 last year out of flannel. There are so many cute food fabrics out there now. My friends DGS LOVES burgers and fries. Yep! We actually found the fabric. His is burgers with fries as the end strip.... (with 1 inch black seperating the 2 other fabrics) Doesn't take a lot of fabric either. Take a deep breath and relax. Too much stress will make you sick. Sometimes we just have to sit back and let somebody else DO IT! Prayers comin your way!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM

I always go to www.doverpublications.com for all kind of books and software. They have things for folks of all ages. From stickers and paper dolls to art instruction, paper airplanes, classic literature. What kid can resist reading Robert Louis Stevenson's adventure stories..not this kid. The Black Arrow is still a favorite re-read. Even Math and puzzle books..Too much to mention here but go to the website and check it out. Prices are reasonable and shipping is low. If you have kiddo's out of town you can have it sent direct. This year I am giving to some preteens and teenie girls, paper dolls for the younger ones and fashion drawing instruction books for the older ones all packaged up in a cute simple tote bags. For the boys, science books, puzzle books and paper airplane books in a cowboy book-bag. Yes they are old fashioned gifts, not an electronic game machine or elaborately quilted heirloom but in the end I will bet they get used just as much maybe even more. There are new gifts that get all the hype each year but in the end kids don't change much. They want to be engaged in some thing that challenges as well as entertains and for me that means a good book. Oh yeah...they have music scores, great posters, clip art up the wazzoo....any thing you can think of
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by chance
Heres a link for some cute Elf Slippers which you can probably mass produce pretty quick. Hope you like.

http://mayamade.blogspot.com/2009/01...-tutorial.html
Cute slippers!!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM

I am married to a 31 year Army career officer---the first Xmas when we were stationed in France just about all the 4 kids gifts were coming over from Sears, Penney's and Montgomery Ward'.
Xmas eve arrived but No Packages from anywhere, except family.
I got out the catalogs and we started cutting out pictures of all the items ordered. Then started looking for boxes---JellO, cereal etc. We wrapped all of them and they were the greatest hit ever with all the kids. Every time a package arrived they found the right box and threw that IOU out.
This was a very long time ago and they still talk about it.
Good luck with whatever you do, Kutnso
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM

hi I have the same problem I have 13 grand kids I am making them there own rice packs they love them .I buy fun fabric and make the sack put white rice in. sew it up and there you have it the kids or parent put them in the microwave for 2 minutes and now they can be nice and warm.mygrand kids love taking them to bed I love them for neck ach or leg cramps give it a try if you need measurements let me know have a good day
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Don't Ya know Grandma....they don't care what "we" give them. The gift cards sound great along with a "great big hug" from Grandma and their happy little campers...no matter what age. :D