Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Greetings from Chilly Iowa >
  • Greetings from Chilly Iowa

• Greetings from Chilly Iowa

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by shirley35
    Our quilt show is September 15 -18, 2011 at Hawkeye Downs on the west side of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Hope you can make it. I had to get, be in charge of 400 workers at our last show and worked my tail off. This time I'm going to enjoy the show. It really is a good show. We have over 300 people in our guild with lots of talent.

It would be fun to go to the quilt show and also meet some of you!
    the old one, (can I call you something else?) you could visit your granddaughter in Williamsburg, love the quilt store in Amana!
    Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM

It us disturbing to see news reports about all the snow which has fallen, and is falling in this country's mid-section. We here in the top of Maine have had snow taken away by rain twice already. Green grass in December? A first for us. Plowing my barn yard is a challenge, and much of the ground's surface has been plowed aside. What's left of my ground is a quagmire, half frozen, half muck. Today the temperature got up to +55F. Which is worse? Several feet of snow? or flooding? Perhaps someone out there can get Santa a pair of hip boots for Christmas. He will need such here. Ordinarily we would be putting on our skiies and skates at this time of the year.

I, too, had to take Home Ec once a week in the 7th and 8th grades. Mother started me sewing when I was four years, and I had begun baking and cooking when I was about six. My knowledge in both areas was beyond the beginner's level, and it griped me no end to have to be considered ignorant of those two disciplines. During the 7th grade the teacher had decided that we had to learn how to make dirndal skirts. She got bogged down in needless trivia. We started making those skirts in September, could not get them done until the following March! During that time I grew 9 1/2", and was a half inch shy of 6'. I never wore the skirt as it came to the middle of my thigh, and wearing such a short skirt in 1944 was a "no-no".

I made my first quilt top at the age of 9 under Mother's direction. No one ever thought of making quilts in school back then!
    Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Ontario.
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Welcome from San Gabriel California.
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by shirley35
    Our quilt show is September 15 -18, 2011 at Hawkeye Downs on the west side of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Hope you can make it. I had to get, be in charge of 400 workers at our last show and worked my tail off. This time I'm going to enjoy the show. It really is a good show. We have over 300 people in our guild with lots of talent.
    I just put it on my calendar, too.
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Welcome from suburban Chicago...you will love this Board...it is addictive tho!
    Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dallison532
    It us disturbing to see news reports about all the snow which has fallen, and is falling in this country's mid-section. We here in the top of Maine have had snow taken away by rain twice already. Green grass in December? A first for us. Plowing my barn yard is a challenge, and much of the ground's surface has been plowed aside. What's left of my ground is a quagmire, half frozen, half muck. Today the temperature got up to +55F. Which is worse? Several feet of snow? or flooding? Perhaps someone out there can get Santa a pair of hip boots for Christmas. He will need such here. Ordinarily we would be putting on our skiies and skates at this time of the year.

I, too, had to take Home Ec once a week in the 7th and 8th grades. Mother started me sewing when I was four years, and I had begun baking and cooking when I was about six. My knowledge in both areas was beyond the beginner's level, and it griped me no end to have to be considered ignorant of those two disciplines. During the 7th grade the teacher had decided that we had to learn how to make dirndal skirts. She got bogged down in needless trivia. We started making those skirts in September, could not get them done until the following March! During that time I grew 9 1/2", and was a half inch shy of 6'. I never wore the skirt as it came to the middle of my thigh, and wearing such a short skirt in 1944 was a "no-no".

I made my first quilt top at the age of 9 under Mother's direction. No one ever thought of making quilts in school back then!
    In one semester I made a sleeveless top and a A line skirt. I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot of good basics. My mom sewed - never quilted, and I sewed almost all of my clothes during High School. Quilting I picked up on my own.
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
    Power Poster

welcome from Michigan.
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 AM

I do have a name, Gail, the nickname comes from an event where someone who knew both my sister and me, asked my name--he said" Can't remember your name, you are one of Jim's daughters, you are the old one, aren't you?" And I am three years older than my sister, was eighty-one in November, so "the old one" really fits well, now.
    When we are closer to September, we can plan to get together at the quilt show, Don's health permitting--I don't make rigid plans any longer, his doctor's appointments have a way of landing right in the middle. piecefully, the old one
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM

I'll put a reminder out later and maybe we could met at so & so time by the food or something. Sounds like fun to me.