Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mini irons >

mini irons

mini irons

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 PM

I just had an ahhh haaaa moment. I was reading through this thread, I didn't know what a clover was so I looked it up and on went the light bulb. I used to built rc airplanes from scratch and had an iron to shrink the mono coating in tight places on the plane, it is a little bigger than a clover but it has heat adjustment. Now if I can just remember when the dang thing is lol
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM

I grabbed mine in the wrong spot when I first used it and got a nasty burn. Now I have a crock that I put it in, so only the handle sticks out. No more grabbing the wrong end. The crock does get hot so I have to set that on a potholder. I do love it for papper piecing.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Dee

I have the clover mini and its great for applique.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 PM

I thought I was the only one who grabbed the mini iron and burned my fingers! I don't like mine either. It might be better if there was a cool type sleeve over that long rod to keep from burning you.

My favorite was an Oreck iron that I got at a flea market. It was aboaut 7-8 inches long and light weight. It was cordless, having a base that would reheat immediately upon putting the iron back on it. It was small enough and easy on my arthritic hands. Sadly, it gave up after about 3 years. I can no longer find another. I miss it! My new Oreck is a great iron and has cordless feature, but it is heavier and I can't use it very much at a time. Wish I could find another like that little one.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM

I burned my fingers the first time I used mine too! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!!!
Originally Posted by renee765
I have the Clover mini iron with a few attachments. I bought the 'new' design (as the package says) that has an additional safety factor built in to the design.

Well, let me tell you that I obviously am not bright enough to use this mini iron. First time I plugged it in, I thought to myself, "Now DON'T touch it here, or you'll get burned!"

So who knows the end of this story? Yup, I grabbed the mini iron in the ONLY place you're not supposed to grab it, and burned the heck out of my fingers.

I can't tell you if it is good for seams or not, because I unplugged it, put it away, and probably will never plug it in again until I feel like I have developed enough of an IQ to use it without causing great pain to myself.
;)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
I have one and use it occasionally. I also made a little ironing board out of a wooden TV tray so they can set right next to me when I'm paper piecing.
I love mine and I have an ironing station on a wooden tray also.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 AM

does anyone want to sell there clover iron that they dont like or use? reasonable?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM

i had to laugh a bit! join the "surprise, i'm able to dress myself and hold down a job" club. i'm sure if you touched the one wrong place there are dozens of us who could or would or have done the same thing.

Originally Posted by renee765
I have the Clover mini iron with a few attachments. I bought the 'new' design (as the package says) that has an additional safety factor built in to the design.

Well, let me tell you that I obviously am not bright enough to use this mini iron. First time I plugged it in, I thought to myself, "Now DON'T touch it here, or you'll get burned!"

So who knows the end of this story? Yup, I grabbed the mini iron in the ONLY place you're not supposed to grab it, and burned the heck out of my fingers.

I can't tell you if it is good for seams or not, because I unplugged it, put it away, and probably will never plug it in again until I feel like I have developed enough of an IQ to use it without causing great pain to myself.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
I use a pint mason jar to put my Clover in. Also, I read somewhere that you hd to turn them on several times before they would really reach high temp. Anyone else see/read this?
Yes I remember the thread about the more you use the mini irons the hotter they get and they reach the 'hot' temp faster. Seems like it was a couple of months ago on this board.

:thumbup: