Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mari Michell templates >
  • Mari Michell templates

• Mari Michell templates

Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM

I bought some (don't remember which ones now) when I was doing a Marti Mitchell BOM at a LQS in Virginia. You can get by without them but I did find that the blocks went together faster with fabric cut from the templates (I guess I'm not as exact I would like:( Personally, its a matter of taste. The money isn't completely wasted on the templates as the quilts are gorgeously intricate so you will probably want to make more than one. However, I put together one Mitchell BOM top with just cutting the templates out of template plastic. It took more careful sewing but it can be done. I don't remember why I bought the templates the second year but I did. It depends on your needs. Hope this helps.
    Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 AM

I have 2 sets B and D did a Block of the month at a LQS and I hate them because 50 pieces to a 12 inch block is just too time consuming I got the quilt Return to Romance Finished even with my sister helping with the pieced sashing and quilted it and gave to my son for Christmas he loved it It took me 2 yrs to make a queen size quilt if you like a lot of pieces go for it The quilt turned out Beautiful but I won't be making another one
    Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Judie
    Interesting.. Seems some love them and some feel equally strong in the other direction!

I'm signed up for a class using her templates. I'm not a big lover of templates but thought I'd give this class a try.. We'll see.. The class isn't until March so there is plenty of time to follow this thread..
    Hated templates until I did a BOM using them. Just love them now.
    Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

I have her templates and they are great.
    I'm in charge of the guild's raffle quilt and I used the "A" set to cut out the entire quit.
    Very accurate.
    Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM

I have heard of them, but never used them
    Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 AM

I like her templates. As above I like to cut bigger pieces then the smaller units using her templates.
    A question...is there a 28mm rotary cutter that will ride high enough to use with the thick acrylic templates? I bought a cool set of curved templates at the AQS show in Knoxville, years ago, by Waterfall Quilts and my old cutter doesn't want to work with them.
    Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM

If you are cutting correctly with an angle to your rotary cutter, you should be able to use the smaller cutters.
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 AM

Marti Michell has a wide variety of templates. Go on line and check what is available and have your LQS order for you.They are so nice.
    Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
    Power Poster

I had her drunkard's path templates but sold them. i like to have both template pieces, the pie and the arc. she only has one.
    other than that, i'm sure they are fine.
    i don't use my rotary cutter with these. i draw around them and cut out with scissors.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I had her drunkard's path templates but sold them. i like to have both template pieces, the pie and the arc. she only has one.
    other than that, i'm sure they are fine.
    i don't use my rotary cutter with these. i draw around them and cut out with scissors.
    I am Marti's husband and I ran across your comment. Marti's Drunkard's Path does have both the "pie" and the "arc" but she has you cut the "arc" using a convex "pie" type shape. That solves the problem that cutting a concave shape ("arc") that cannot be done with a rotary cutter. Marti always wants to give you a solution that can be cut from length wise grain strips using a rotary cutter with the template(s). You will be faster and more accurate cutting the shapes this way.