Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I haven't. Kind of need to actually make the quilts I have ideas for before I can think of asking a long arm quilter (I'm getting there though!) But honestly...I'm not sure how willing I'd be to bring one in. I still consider myself inexperianced and I would wonder if the LA quilter would find my quilting skills laughable.
This is my fear also- someone laughing at my work;)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM

LAQ's are so expensive in my state and a good LAQ is so hard to find or so overbooked for months in advance so I tend to hand quilt most of mine.

I do some machine quilting, mostly on the charity quilts and smaller quilts. I did have a small quilting frame that I could use my sewing machine with but it was too restricting for me so I sold it after having it 6 months. I

I have tried but haven't yet mastered free motion quilting so all my quilting is STD or straight line which I prefer to do anyway.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 PM

So far I've quilted all my own, however I haven't done a queen or a king size yet!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Jim

I send mine.....to my wife...we have a quilting machine and I make all the tops..she does all the quilting as well as quilting for a lot of other people.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM

I have always hand quilted my own but hand quilting takes so long. I recently purchased a Brother Quattro for embroidery and machine quilting so I am learning to machine quilt. Small throws and wall hanging is the largest I have had the courage to do so far. I like to finish my own projects for better or worse so I will probably go to my LQS and rent time of their long arm when I get my current project ready to quilt.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM

Do my own, mostly meander, just my prefrence, figured if I went ahead and bought would cover the cost of sending them out in the long run, more tops than time then. Not a LA tho. can't even imaging a LS with all the bells and whistles. Would probibly be cool, but more than I need :)
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM

I've done all my own quilting on my machine. But I have a quilt top in progress that I will be sending to an LA, just because I want it to be special.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tink74
I send mine out. I found the price better than buying the equipment myself & having the room for it. I don't let them do any computer quided though.
So what does it mean computer guided?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM

Small projects I do myself but anything large I send to a friend who started her LA business 6/7yrs ago. She does a fantastic job and makes the difference to my quilts being just OK to looking perfect!!!(With a wow factor!!)She always attaches the binding to the front and I just hand finish! The quilt is always square and my mitre corners perfect!! Couldn't do that in the limmited space I have!!! Works for me!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM

Small projects I do myself but anything large I send to a friend who started her LA business 6/7yrs ago. She does a fantastic job and makes the difference to my quilts being just OK to looking perfect!!!(With a wow factor!!)She always attaches the binding to the front and I just hand finish! The quilt is always square and my mitre corners perfect!! Couldn't do that in the limmited space I have!!! Works for me!!! Oooops! posted twice! Sorry :roll: