Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash Away Thread >

Wash Away Thread

Wash Away Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I use it for many things ~ mostly I use it to hand-baste quilts, then I don't have to pull the basting threads out. Major time saver! One of our LQS also has garments on display, and they were having a problem with theft of the display pieces... especially bathing suits! So they started sewing them with the water soluble thread... haa haa they caught the thief! It was one of their young girl employees! Boy was she embarrassed at the pool! :)

I make garments, too so use my quilting skills for unique jackets. I use the washaway all the time there, too to hold things down. Works great for a quick sloppy basting on applique, then you don't worry about getting stabbed with pins (or losing pins for someone else to step on) at a doc appt or whatever. And it is very strong, too, at least the little spools I buy in the quilting notions at Jo's
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
I received my new Trapunto embroidery designs and it calls for wash away thread so when design is finished it will not have bulky thread. Have any of you ladies used this before and if so how did you like it?Thanks in advance for all your input.
I DO like it. Be sure to keep it in an airtight plastic bag and DON'T lick your finger before you thread the needle! :)
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

oh, yeah, when the tread goes on sale at JoAnn's, this does too :) But you find it on the quilt notions wall ~ I always wait for the 1/2 off thread sale. I keep the little silica thingys that come in my Excedrin bottle, and toss them into the little tin I keep that thread in. and YES, mark your BOBBIN if you wind one!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM

is this thread just for basting? i have never heard of it, i cant imagine you can sew with it.......
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM

I've used it to:
hand baste to eliminate pins (when I know a project will take awhile, I hate it when a pin leaves a mark)
anchor down applique pieces for travel work (to eliminate pins and hold in place)
SID to hold larger quilt firmly together so I can do my pretty top stitching with no worries
Trapunto work, so I can stitch, trim batting, then topstitch with nice threads but hold that trapunto batt secure

Also used for holding down applique pieces while machine embroidering ~ some designs I can see that extra layer of thread as a bulky bump under my satin stitches... this water soluble washes away after a good soak, and eliminates that hateful bump :)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

wow, thanks for the info...i am going to go get some, and experiment with it...i do alot of machine applique with satin stitch.......gina
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM

I was told to use it in a form of QAYG in a class I took.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by grumpy90650
wow, thanks for the info...i am going to go get some, and experiment with it...i do alot of machine applique with satin stitch.......gina
Just make sure you mark that bobbin!!! I use the spool itself on the top of the machine ~ I just use a 80/20 needle, nothing special... but you gotta mark the bobbin and make sure you keep it separate from all others. I actually use a special pink colored bobbin, but you could mark a big W or X on it with a marker :)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Yes it is a temporary basting thread and when you are finished it washes away .
Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
I just recieved some of this and now you ladies have helped me out with it. I will be sewing something up for my DB who is always playing lil tricks on people. lol. Maybe something he wears to the lake??? :lol: :lol: :lol: if it gets wet he will be totally surprised now wont he !! ROTLFLMBO.... :thumbup:
Shame on you! What lake do you go to I want to get in on the laff too!