Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Haven't started any of the three yet, but I've printed the patterns, told my friends all about it, picked out some prints that might work.... ready to start!!

i think i might have problems with the sky and roofs, some of the fabrics are directional and I need to make sure they all go the same way.

Any ideas? Help?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I finished my barn today - those little angles on the roof almost got the best of me!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM

The church was easy. It reminded me of putting a puzzle together and I really enjoyed it.

The farmhouse was a challenge, so many pieces!!! I printed out two copies. The first copy I taped together and colored to match my fabric. It was much easier when I was making the fabric house because I could refer back to the colored one. As I finished off a section I checked it off. Not quite sure how my roof and posts didn't end up matching up, but I noticed a lot of people had the same problem. As for directional fabric, I use my lightbox to help make sure the fabric is going properly and then iron it. It works pretty good, but I still had some problems with directional fabrics and angles.

As for the barn...I guess I'll see how that goes this weekend.

Originally Posted by Corky
Haven't started any of the three yet, but I've printed the patterns, told my friends all about it, picked out some prints that might work.... ready to start!!

i think i might have problems with the sky and roofs, some of the fabrics are directional and I need to make sure they all go the same way.

Any ideas? Help?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Good info!
Originally Posted by PKWard
The church was easy. It reminded me of putting a puzzle together and I really enjoyed it.

The farmhouse was a challenge, so many pieces!!! I printed out two copies. The first copy I taped together and colored to match my fabric. It was much easier when I was making the fabric house because I could refer back to the colored one. As I finished off a section I checked it off. Not quite sure how my roof and posts didn't end up matching up, but I noticed a lot of people had the same problem. As for directional fabric, I use my lightbox to help make sure the fabric is going properly and then iron it. It works pretty good, but I still had some problems with directional fabrics and angles.

As for the barn...I guess I'll see how that goes this weekend.

Originally Posted by Corky

Any ideas? Help?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 AM

Hello Everyone,
I have just updated my first post, on this thread!! Just go down to the last link listed & click on it & you will find the March block has been added. Both the pattern & directions along with the picture thread. Hope everyone is still having fun!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM

I won't be doing this BOM. I absolutely hate PP. I was excited about houses, but not when they are PP.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by quilter41
I won't be doing this BOM. I absolutely hate PP. I was excited about houses, but not when they are PP.
I am sorry to hear that you won't be joining us. Is there anything at all that any of us can do to help you with your pp'ing? I would love for you to stay with it, if possible.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 AM

You wouldn't have to pp. You could cut out the sections and add your 1/4 inch seam allowance and make a cardboard template to cut out the fabric (or trace the actual size piece and add a quarter inch before cutting out).
You could just piece it. The selected farm house might be a bit much for that but you could pick out your own farmhouse patten too.

I want to do them but haven't started yet. Hope to catch up.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by starshine
You wouldn't have to pp. You could cut out the sections and add your 1/4 inch seam allowance and make a cardboard template to cut out the fabric (or trace the actual size piece and add a quarter inch before cutting out).
You could just piece it. The selected farm house might be a bit much for that but you could pick out your own farmhouse patten too.

I want to do them but haven't started yet. Hope to catch up.
Thanks for sharing your great idea's!! I do so hope that you will join in & make these great House blocks with all of the rest of us. We are having a wonderful time making them. I will be anxiously waiting to see your picture's!!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm almost finished the farmhouse and already bought the fabric for the barn. I can't wait to get started on it. I'm really loving the paper piecing. It means less errors and feels less complicated then piecing. I don't have to get cut blocks (I hate doing that cause they are always just a wee bit off.) Squaring up is a breeze cause I have already dealt with the quarter inch allowance all through the block. I just really have to worry what colors/materials go where. Tip I got from this board and ignored it...be careful when mixing different materials, be sure they behave the same when sewing. I mixed a fabric that stretches withe my cottons that don't. Luckily, the fabric plays a small role in my blocks, but I'll be more careful.