Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Welll..... I'm hoping that we continue this thread in 2011... I GAINED back up to 145!!!! I was down to 141 ... it took me from January to September to lose 4 lbs.... Halloween candy and not walking was the reason.... so.... I will clear off the treadmill... I don't have any excuse for not walking... I have to drop 45 lbs... again. :thumbdown: But I'm not giving up :thumbup:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Weighed in today---didn't like it. I gained 1.8 lbs and am very upset. My grandson is in town from Dallas and tonight my DD is having taco Tuesday at her house for my grandson. Of course, we are going but I am concerned about the tacos. My DD makes the greatest tacos in the world. My WW facilitator told me to have one (1) so not to feel deprived. Ok---I'll try to have 1 and walk away to play with the young grandkids. Say a prayer for me.
I hope it went well. One way I fight the 'too many tacos' temptation is to leave out the shell. Then I put a handful of lettuce on my plate. Spoon on a serving size portion of the taco makings and top it with lots of salsa. No sour cream or guacamole. If you have spanish rice, put s little on the salad too.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 AM

I am sure there is something more to help with depression, but anti-depression medication and booze (not at the same time) are all that has worked for me.

In the last few years, University of Utah Medical Center has been working with electric shock therapy to help people who have long term depression, and for whom medication (prescribed or otherwise) has not really helped. They are finding that long term depression can be improved a great deal this way. I'm ready to try it. The stronger medications have so many side effects!

Hopefully, things will be better today.

I've been missing my tea time, so today...(it may just be tea and crackers) it is back to tea for me. I haven't gained or lost. Haven't maintained any losses.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 AM

I've been missing my tea time, so today...(it may just be tea and crackers) it is back to tea for me.

I haven't gained or lost. Haven't maintained any losses. I think my focus from now until January should be eating healthy and mild walking. By January, my medications should be evened out. The really important 1st year things will be over and life in its new normal should be settling in.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn

...I haven't gained or lost. Haven't maintained any losses. I think my focus from now until January should be eating healthy and mild walking...
You hit the nail on the head Gwyn. I think this should be the focus for weight loss, eating healthy and exercise. Fad diets or diets that add stress to our bodies may show a weight loss, but they can't be substained. They might be good as a kick start to dieting, but being healthy over a long period of time (years) should be the goal. Little changes in my eating have lead to massive weight loss, but the best benefit is I am feeling better about how I look and in my overall health.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leota
Welll..... I'm hoping that we continue this thread in 2011...
When I started the thread I wanted to lose 60 lbs. That was at the beginning of the year. I am almost 1/2 way there that means I have about 30 more lbs to go and about another year. I don't think I am going anywhere, I am sure all the other regulars will still be here too.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 AM

I fully agree Carol. Eating well and exercise can help with depression. Have any of you heard of a book Depression the way out by Neil Nedley. He talks a lot on how diet can help with depression. My DH has suffered with depression a lot and found this book helpful.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 AM

I'm sure I'll be here Leota. I have lost 40 in 6 months and have 40 more to go. I'm sure the second half will take just as long or longer to take off.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I am sure there is something more to help with depression, but anti-depression medication and booze (not at the same time) are all that has worked for me.

In the last few years, University of Utah Medical Center has been working with electric shock therapy to help people who have long term depression, and for whom medication (prescribed or otherwise) has not really helped. They are finding that long term depression can be improved a great deal this way. I'm ready to try it. The stronger medications have so many side effects!

Hopefully, things will be better today.

I've been missing my tea time, so today...(it may just be tea and crackers) it is back to tea for me. I haven't gained or lost. Haven't maintained any losses.
I talked to my psychiatrist this morning and he said that ECT is a great alternative to strong medications for depression. Here they require the patient to be hospitalized while receiving treatments.

I do hope your depression lifts soon.

Love you,

Missy
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Oh, I missed it! Would love to do it next month. I will have to keep watch for it! :-) Good luck to you all. I need to lose some weight, my jeans are getting snug and boy would I love to fit back into those pants hanging in my closet. When DH and I first met I was either in a 1 or a 3 I can't remember. Well, 5 kids later I am in a 10! Still not bad but I'd like to be in at least a 7. I'm like 5'3"-5'4" so I wouldn't mind losing some. ;-)