Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 AM

Being on a fixed income myself I am finding it very hard to keep quilting or even sewing for the grandkids. I hit the sales when I can but sometimes can not even do that.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 AM

Truth is, except for a very few, we are all on a fixed income. Those of you who work only get so much on your paycheck. All of us are having to watch what we spend and our money buys less all the time. Even so, we are some of the most creative people that live. We'd all love to go to a quilt shop and buy whatever we wanted, but since that doesn't happen we look elsewhere.. Never fear, we'll all continue quilting one way or another.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 AM

I am retired and my extra income has been seriously cut due to the economy. I do all the things people have talked about and really don't feel deprived - yet. I still have two luxuries, cable and cell phone, that I can downsize before I have to worry about my quilting budget, however, I do make a lot of applique and scrap quilts which I really prefer over the quilts that use only one special fabric line that has to be purchased at a LQS.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
How do you afford to quilt if you live on a fixed income? With the prices going up on everything. My paycheck does not go as far as it did just 3 years ago. I have had to sell some of my fabric just to buy batting, so if it is getting hard for me, and I work was just wondering how you are doing it on a fix income? Maybe you have some tricks or tips on how to make your money go further.

Thanks
Jackie
I live on a fixed income, also, so I look for fabric on sale and Hobby Lobby frequently puts 40% coupons on full price items. This is when I usually buy batting. And I save every scrap of batting. It can be sewn together and put into a baby quilt or a small throw. I don't throw anything out. I haven't cut up any clothes yet, my stash is still fairly large from a Hancock's going out of busines sale.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 AM

I know it is terrible. I have a pretty good stash for now but I know I will be facing that one day as well. Look not only at goodwill for fabric but look at the blouses, shirts and dresses for what color or print you want, they can be cut up. I understand walmart is bringing back their fabric so maybe that will help. Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 AM

make minitures. make quilted clothing. i bought bags of other people's scraps for $2 at my quild's garage sale and did some of my best work. quit subscribing to magazines and get really creative. i buy clothing at the goodwill, on their $1 tag day, and break it down into yardage. sew with what is in your stash. i am amazed at what i am able to make without buying a thing. i give my batting scraps to a lady i met on freecycle.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 AM

make minitures. make quilted clothing. i bought bags of other people's scraps for $2 at my quild's garage sale and did some of my best work. quit subscribing to magazines and get really creative. i buy clothing at the goodwill, on their $1 tag day, and break it down into yardage. sew with what is in your stash. i am amazed at what i am able to make without buying a thing. i give my batting scraps to a lady i met on freecycle.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM

I am on a fixed income. Unfortunately, I cannot quilt like I want to. I have to wait until I have a specific project in mind--such as my new great-nephew to be born in mid July. I also have a lot of cotton scraps left over from making my husband shirts and clothes for my great-niece. I have just acquired a small stash of scraps from my sister and niece that belonged to my mother and aunt. Most of my quilts are scrappy and are for personal use. I just hope that the fat-cats in Washington finally realize the hardships that they are inflecting on the American populace that live on fixed incomes. Enough grousing on my part. Have a wonderful day. Jeanniebelle
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 AM

I usually have a quilt idea and a family member that it will be for. I purchase the fabric when it is on sale, or I save when we go visiting and there is a quilt shop, since there are none near me. Walmart is suppose to be bringing back bolt fabric in May according to Wall Street Journal, that would have to be worth my while since I am an hours drive and gas prices are getting steep
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 AM

Those felt throws are great for lap and baby quilt batting and the thrift stores have great deals on fabric. You can get a $5 bag of clothes, just make sure they're cotton and the men's shirts a a good deal also.