Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make yourself get a project done? >

How do you make yourself get a project done?

How do you make yourself get a project done?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM

By the time I get housework, washing, etc. done, I am worn out and it's a real effort to get started on quilting unless it is something I can piece by hand or applique :-(
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM

sewing buddies are always a help but then when shopping and together, not so. Spend too much, ha
Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM

I agree with small goals if you're having trouble. Sometimes I just go in the sewing room and clear off the cutting table or put some things away & that gets me going. And, I mean that in small bits of time, too. A real cleaning is just so unreasonable to think about!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by LindaBN
Deadlines are very helpful, but not all projects have them. I'm stuck on a project now. Got all 35 blocks made for a QoV quilt, went to square up the blocks and some are too small! It's been sitting for a month as I am so bummed. I guess I'll need to rip out some squares or make new ones. I was being extra careful to cut and sew accurately. More practice is needed I guess.
I'll need to make myself a deadline! Maybe July 4th!
Can you just add a small border of the background fabric around the smaller blocks, rather than ripping them up? You probably can't trim the larger blocks, because you'd lose star points, etc.

How about Memorial Day? Seems appropropriate for a QoV.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I get myself back in the mood by winding bobbins, putting away tools, thread, books, cleaning off my cutting table, or ironing fabric to ready it for cutting. Take on the small tasks first and they will lead to bigger ones. Take on projects that are already planned and the supplies needed are purchased (nothing to hold you back because your still gathering materials). Good Luck!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM

I understand quite well what you are saying about finshing each prodjest. I have a quilt over half hand quilted. Two more waiting to be quilted by hand.I am falling behind on housework. I have been retired about a year from MalMart. I am bizer now than when I was working. Rose Marie Smith from Newcastle, Ca.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM

I can understand this problem. Once you start who wants to stop and also who wants to do housework before you start quilting. I try to make me do my things first before pleasure. I always liked to get the house done but the older I get the less I like to work on the housework. My hubby says the house will be here long after we're one so stop worrying. It still looks nice.good luck making yourself still to a plan. Sue
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM

I have at least 4 projects going at one time in different stages. I'm piecing a star quilt on one machine, machine appliquing on the other. I have a needle turn applique
BOM I'm working on, and hand quilting a wall hanging. If I'm sitting on the porch or watching TV I do the handwork and when I feel in the mood for sewing on the machine I'm all set. I think if I had only one project I'd get frustrated and would rush so I could do a different quilting technique. This works for me anyway.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM

A lot of times when I quit for the day, I make sure I am all set up for the next time I sit down to sew. If I don't do this, I find it really hard to get going the next time.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM

I have the same problem but my husband is always saying did you get that project done yet?