Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
backaches at sewing machine >

backaches at sewing machine

backaches at sewing machine

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
Am wondering if anyone else experiences bad backaches while using their sewing machine.

I have tried every level surface I can think of to put any one of my 3 sewing machines on - all different heights. Tried several different chair - and table chair combos.

Wonder what I can try next.

Please post if you have this problem, and what you have tried - and what seems to help.

Try getting a cuple of rubber door stops and putting them under the back of your sewing machine so that it tips forward a little. It won't cost much and it's certainly worth a try. Of course that won't work with machines that are attached to a cabinet. froggyintexas

THANKS
Julie :roll: sighing
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM

I was having backaches so I got my 5 pound weights out and set them by the sewing machine. When I started feeling the tention I grabbed the weights and did 20 lifts straight up and then I did 10 from the sides. It felt good at the time, but the next morning I could hardly breathe, I was so sore. I had to take the day off from sewing. lol
I bought a back massager on line from Brookstone, so now I use it when I feel the tention.
Syl
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM

My chiropractor said when the back hurts, stop right then and review your posture at that very moment. He said, "I would bet anything you aren't sitting up straight and once you start doing that, your pain should go away shortly after." I did that and I was hunched way over. Sat up straight and it went away.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 PM

WOWOW never ever did I realize so many had backaches at themachine! I have tried the Chiro. thing about layiingono the floor with my feet etc. That does help relive some pressure. Need to make sure to do it regularly.
Taking a day or two off at the machine. Hoping this eases some.

JUlie
Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Can you give more directions on the rice bag?? How big how much weight, hot or cold or just rice?? It does sound interesting. Daily enough or should one do it 2 times a day.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM

What I did was put 2 of the cheapo rubber door stoppers under the back of my machine. It tilts the sewing machine forward and I do not "hunch" over it as much. Really helped my back problem.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Check a book at the library and look at the pictures of the proper way to sit. It should help you a great deal. HOPE SO!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
It sounds like you need a comfy chair that can be easily height adjusted. This way you can find the exact height that will help you and your back. I love mine and no, I can't say I suffer from aches!
Candace: Blessings on you! Thank God there is someone out there who does not have back pain from sewing! Maybe there is hope for the rest of us!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM

I get back aches all the time also. I have tried a pillow around my neck with rice. The type you could use for sleeping on a airplane. A little longer so it can reach my shoulders. I made it myself and some times it works.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Sorry, I forgot to say typing book.