Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM

We have made lap quilts for the nursing homes in our area. They held up great with all of the washing.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 AM

you could also make animal beds for local animal shelter
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 AM

They make very good everyday use baby quilts also- easy wash and wear for a longggg time. Some babies are a bit more messy than others, so needs more washings; also it is very good for the charity quilts, or for nursing homes; but either use more knit for the backing or flannel- the elderly love warmth - not the cold feel of the cotton backings... plus by using the knits, they stretch together. I have so much knit and polys, and I plan to make quilts for charity until it is used up... but nt sure I'll live that long! believe me I have loads of it!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 AM

My DIL loves the doubleknit quilts, I've made 3 for her. The kids cuddle on the couch and even argue over who gets the quilt.
Years ago I was given lots of doubleknit and I made braided throw rugs for my kitchen and garage. I cut 3" strips, braided them and sewed the braids coiled in an oval using dental floss for thread. They were easy to wash and wore like iron.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
I would take the material..and make lap quilts with it.
I have a queen size double knit quilt that is a Double Wedding Ring design...it is very heavy, very warm, it has been washed over and over and the color never fades, I love that quilt. It is dbl knit on both top and bottom with poly filling. It was made back in the 70's..I traded dbl knit fabric and gave 40.00 for the quilt..one of my granddaughters wants it..."when I pass on"..LOL. It is all hand pieced and hand quilted. The lady had her quilting frame on a pulley and it went up to the ceiling when she was not using it. It is a treasure to me.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 AM

My grandmother made TONS of these and they never wear out. Just use a simple pattern and probably tie, not quilt.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 AM

It's really up to you. I don't quilt with knits because they are a pain in the neck to work with and I'd never be happy with the results. Seems like a lot of time to invest in something that is just a way to use up inexpensive fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Good Luck with the garage sale. Here you'd get $.25 to maybe a dollar a yard.

Originally Posted by FAYE
I have a "ton" of single & double knits given to me....the single knits I am using Pellon fusible featherweight 91FF, & then I have the stretchy stuff stabilized to use. The rest is is in mostly 3yds. or more knit material & I am going to have a big yard sale & sell it at $3 or $4 a yard, also got over 60 various colors of serger thread, guess you know that gal was a fabriholic
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 AM

I made a double knit, log cabin way back when. At least the early 70s. It is still going strong. Poly batting. Nice and warm for our cabin. I used muslen for the backing. I did not find it hard to work with. I made lots of clothing with it in those years, and made the quilt with scraps. Would do it again in a heart beat. Best cabin quilt we ever had!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Personally, I have no use for double knit in quilts. HOWEVER, I would never refuse a fabric gift from anyone. I'd be afraid that if I refused, the friend would think twice about offering the next time (and the "next time" might be a boatload of 100% cotton). There are many things you could do with this fabric, if you choose not to use it yourself: pass it on to someone that does use double knit; to a church group or local guild that make quilts for Vets, Children's Hospitals and nursing homes.
There's a market out there for this fabric