Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pet and Smoke Free Environment >

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I wash all my quilts when they are finished. I don't sell my quilts. My pets are allowed anywhere they like, and there are worse things than a pet wandering around the sewing room. Anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to stay away.
Same here. I don't allow smoking in my house, but my furbaby is also my assistant quilter and official quilt inspector.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM

My dog and cats are family and follow me around everywhere, including the sewing room. When I sell fabric or books I just let the potential buyers know that, as well as that it's a smoke free and perfume free home, because some people are very sensitive to odors (like me) and may have pet allergies (not like me, lol).
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Since Easter I have been battling a cough that has for the past 4 weeks included almost constant congestion. I have lost all sense of smell so am relying on family for things in that realm of which they have pointed out many- I decided to make a salsa for my oldest son to take to a party the other night- My husband came down from the up stairs and asking what on earth was I doing his eyes and throat were burning all the way from the top of the stairs- I smelled nothing. The point I'm making is when your sense of smell is impaired especially that of a smoker (which is proven) you fail to recognize what offensive odors are affecting everyone around you. Whether it is Smoke, cat, dog, rabbit, reptiles, rodents, heavy grease from cooking, it is only conciderate when you give a gift or sell an item that you take the utmost care to ensure it is just as clean as if you had pulled it out of a package in a retail store. We have at times bought sewing machines from people that were smokers which had been locked in closets or other places for years and yet when we get them in the car the odor is so strong we begin to cough etc. Smoke clings leaving a scum on evrything it doesn't just get blown out when you puff.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM

We have dogs, they are sometimes in the quilting area (from the back door to inside the house...past the quilting room)...I let people know that & the pets don't touch the customer items whatsoever. For myself and family...I tell them to wash the quilt before using.
I am allergic to cats, started when my third child was born 37 years ago...so if I walk into a room and there are cats in the area...I have bad reactions..wheezing, whole nine yards.
We have barn cats and for some reason they don't cause me to react whatsoever.
These cats never come in the house. My BILaw smokes...comes by once or twice a week...sits in kitchen...never comes near the quilt room.

I accept quilts from pet owners & smokers. I tell them not to wash the tops or backings. When they come and I open the box...if I have a reaction...I hang them out and spray with frebreeze...let them air out for a few hours. So far, in 6 years...have not had but one reaction.

I do think one needs to let folks know that pets/odors are present.

Originally Posted by MissJMac
I see many cute little pets roaming around sewing rooms, lounging on quilts and perched on machines. For personal and health reasons, pet and smoke free environments seem to be a big thing in the quilting community. If you sell your quilts, how do you address this concern - do you tell all your potential customers that you have smokers and pets? I see many members mentioning that they have received fabric with these orders. Just wondering how you handle this if you have pets/smokers.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Its Fabreze and perfume that I can't stand. Some of the most popular brands have me wheezing in the checkout line. I always let people know about pets.
I too hate fabreze and perfume I used to drive school bus and the kids would come on the bus with a fresh dose of perfume and I had to tell them to wait till they got to school to put it on and fabreze does it to me too. I have two dogs min pins and they also won't go down the basement stairs. I only made one quilt for a lady and I did tell her about my dogs and she was fine with that. I only make quilts for me and my family....
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM

We used to own a pool hall and my husband would walk in the door and I could smell the smoke on him, he didn't smoke and either do I but all his clothes smelled terrible and he couldn't smell it because he was around it so much that it screwed up his sense of smell. When we closed up the pool hall my husband brought home a tv it smelled of smoke was all yellow we had to leave it outside to air out and I washed it with bleach and then vinegar to get the smell out. It does get into every crevice in your house no matter where you smoke in your house. I used to be a smoker but 25 years ago. Till you quit you won't realize how bad it is ...proven fact...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 PM

I have one dog now but had two not too long ago. I share my sewing area with them. Both are hairy. If someone has a problem with finding a pet hair or two on a washed quilt they can return it. But I don't think the fabric smells like the dog(s).

Kyia
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 PM

I am sensitive to most products. Frebreeze has one scent I can tollerate.and I use that outside..spray whilie hanging on the line...then let the air hit it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM

We have 2 kittys and they pretty much have free roam over the house. They know where they are not allowed, like the tables, countertops, my fabric, etc. When I have sold something, I always state that I have cats. Family and friends know we have cats, so it would not be a surprise. I wash all my quilts before they are given as gifts and most of them are given people with pets and/or who smoke.

I don't smoke and no one in my home does know. My Mom smoked but she passed away 4 years ago. I never once minded her smoking in my home when she came to visit. She meant more to me than fussing about the smell of cigarette smoke.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
If its going to someone else, I let them know there are pets. As for smokers, sometimes my DH wanders in with a cigar. Does that count?
Umm, I'm thinking YES? :hunf: :thumbdown: