Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter skips. >

Rotary Cutter skips.

Rotary Cutter skips.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Brand new Gingher rotaty cutter....way too expensive to have problems right out of the package...skipped everytime I tried to cut...bad blade. It had a chip out of it....very frustrating. Check your blade for nick(s), also check the area between the blade and the handle where it is attached with the screw. Sometimes lint or debris gets in that area. If you take it apart, turn your blade around and put the screw back in and test it to see if it still skips.
Sorry you are having this trouble. We have all been there.
D in TX
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 AM

New blade, and check to make sure you don't have TWO blades in there. I did that and got skips.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM

I received a new rotary cutter in my Christmas stocking last Christmas. It was an EXPENSIVE one. I couldn't wait to use it. When I finally got a chance to use it I was so disgusted with it, I nearly returned it to the LQS that it came from. Before I did, I checked the blade that was in it when I opened it. I could not believe what a piece of garbage they put in that expensive new cutter. Changed the blade and all is well. I really believe that some rotary cutter manufacturers are putting junk blades in new cutters in order to assure that they get a blade sale too. Sign of the times I'm afraid, sigh.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Just my humble opinion --- try holding the cutter a little higher so that the angle of the cutter to the fabric is a little more defined. Your cutter will skip if your hand is too close to the mat when you cut because it is harder to control the pressure. Be sure to apply steady, firm, consistant pressure as you cut. Rotary cutting takes a bit of practice to get used to.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM

I had this problem for a long time and finally discovered that I needed to hold the cutter a little differently. Experiment with different levels of pressure and tilt it more sharply and see if that helps.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM

I would first put a new blade in. I just tried one of the Harbor Freight blades and am not impressed - they skipped threads right out of the package. Tried the second one in the package and it did the same thing. Also, sometimes your cutting mat can get grooves in it and that makes the blade not as effective. If you are afraid of cutting yourself, you could buy one of those special gloves you wear on the hand that holds down the ruler. I believe Fons and Porter sells one on their website. Hope this helps!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM

I don't know if anyone posted this already (or not), but I accidently put 2 blades on my cutter once and it wouldn't cut. Check & see if you may have 2 blades attached instead of 1!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
mim

Also -- how smooth (no cuts or grooves) is your mat?? a cut in the may will cause a skip.
Mim
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
1) Not pressing hard enough/consistently.
2) Blade is dull or chipped and needs replacement.
3) Possible cutting thru too many layers of fabric...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

You might need to put just a "little" more pressure while cutting. This happened to me when my hand was sore.
IdahoSandy
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Saw a young man at a quilt show giving tips on cutting... he said to make sure you hold your hand straight up... that if you tilt it just the slightest to the right your cut will not be straight and you can skip... when I concentrate on holding my hand straight.. it helps... also a sharp blade is necessary... good luck.. just keep practicing..