Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Blackberries - What to do with them? >

Blackberries - What to do with them?

Blackberries - What to do with them?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM

The seeds are OK in desserts etc but may want them out of jellies. My favorite recipe for them is an Apple Blackberry Pie. Sounds sort of wierd but has been a hit around here with family.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

You need the pulp to make blackberry jam. The juice will give you a wonderful jelly, but there's nothing like jam/preserves.

When doing a small amount, I use a wire strainer that closely resembles the spacing of window screen. Actually, I remember as a kid watching a nearby farmer's wife "squish" hers through a frame of window screen into a container like a plastic dishpan. She used something that looked like a flat wooden paddle. It was quite a fine screen, but it let the pulp pass through while still holding back most of the seeds.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM

My blackberries are doing the same thing as yours and have been watering too because of the heat and no rain--just figured it was the same bad luck I've had in the last month--shingles on my face and computer blown up in a lightning storm. I survived the last two so guess I can buy some blackberries and make my blackberry/apple pie that I'm craving. Also make a cobbler with rhubarb, raspberries and blackberries--MMMM!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by neeng
You can make seedless jelly by cooking the fruit first, put it through a strainer or jelly bag so you end up with just the juice, then add your other ingredients and finish off the recipe.

Yummy, but I find this results in a lot of waste of the pulp itself and I'd rather put up with the seeds. I used to make the seedless one for my DH though.
I agree---there are great recipes for blackberry jam that are really simple. Plus, if you squeeze the juice out of the berries using a piece of white fabric, it stains it and you can do something really cool with the red-purple piece.....also, I was once making blackberry jam and didn't have enough juice for the last batch so I added some orange juice. It was my best batch EVER! (Probably about 2/3 blackberry juice and 1/3 orange juice; I was using the recipe that came with the Sure-Jel box of pectin)
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Jelly, it is the best. Or wine!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM

SEnd them to me. My husband got some yesterday and we froze them for cobbelers and pies this winter
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
My favorite recipe for them is an Apple Blackberry Pie. Sounds sort of wierd but has been a hit around here with family.
I don't think it sounds weird as here in the UK Apple n Blackberry Pie or Crumble is an Autumn tradition.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM

cobblers.....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM

blackberry pie, or just the filing to pour over ice cream. there are a few seeds but they aren't as noticable as you might think once cooked.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Some of the best homemade wine I ever had was blackberry. But there is nothing better than a blackberry cobbler.