Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can it be done.... >

Can it be done....

Can it be done....

Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Well I'm going to come from the daughters' point of view. You know your daughters-will both of them appreciate the value the end product as you want them to? If you want these passed down be sure you make that clear to them. Also do they have children? How to pass the items on? I know you have 2 pieces, but one is made by their grandmother, the other by her sister. Did or do they know your aunt? Will both pieces be valued equally or will one daughter feel slighted that she did not receive something from her grandmother? If these are possibilities I would say you should find a way to make two projects from each piece, unless you can somehow incorporate some of each of the originals into 2 new pieces. Family dynamics can be tricky and it's better to be totally honest with yourself concerning these issues now in the project decision making process than dealing with unexpected reactions down the road.JMHO
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Almost anything can be done -

Why not just lay in on top of your bed as a bed-topper and look at it that way for a while?

Once it's been cut up - it's cut up.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM

I think it would be wonderful to be able to make use of it and not simply keep it in a drawer.
At a recent quilt show a vendor was selling 1950's table cloths for quilt tops. Go for it.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

I have a friend that is into Colonial and vintage things. She gave a luncheon for several friends with like-minded decorating taste. She set her table with an antique quilt as a tablecloth. Very colorful and impressive. You will be doing just the opposite--covering a bed with a table cloth turned quilt. Go for it--and take a chance. sounds like a great idea!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM

It had china to go with it! That must have been gorgeous. What a wonderful gift. The work is beautiful. I would just quilt it as is so that the embroidery is not ruined by cutting it up. Then either as a wall hanging(depending on size) or lap/bed quilt. It is a shame not to use it in some way it is gorgeous.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm wondering how many of us have tablecloths such as this we'd like to do something similar with. I have a tablecloth which my mother did a crosstitch design on in pink-rose with green to go with a set of dishes. I still have the dishes, also but never use either anymore. I think she bought it from a mail order place such as Hercheners (?) which was pre-marked. The one I have is some what scalloped around the edge which I thought I could possibly attach a soft pink flat border to the underside without deleting the scallops. Maybe just using it a bed throw or runner would be simpler. Will be watching for ideas others suggest for all of us who have unused keepsake tablecloths!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I would go for a whole cloth quilt and not cut it up, then add borders to make it bed size.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM

You can get these tablecloths at estate sales for very little...nothing compared to how much work it took to make them.
By all means, make them into a quilt(s). They are not good to anyone just sitting in a cabinent or drawer. I think this is a very good idea.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Personally, I don't think I would touch it. I think of all the time and love that went into making it. I have several beautiful linen embroidered table cloths (which I use on special occasions) gets so many compliments. I love using them. The same goes for the crochet table cloths, too. So keeping them in tack and using them as they were meant to be is what I would choose to do. But then, that's just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would definitely use it as a whole cloth with borders if necessary and beautiful quilting. It could be breath-takingly
spectacular!
Ditto from me !!