Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can one do to prevent fleas? >

What can one do to prevent fleas?

What can one do to prevent fleas?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM

The wearther is affecting so many insects and fleas are one of them. You could have them this year when you never have.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:53 PM

gee, on a slow day the vets help will clip my dog's nails for nothing during a visit to up to 15$ if I walk in - (I'm lucky the vet lives on the corner up my street)
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
I second Comfortis! Great product!
me three - live in an apartment, and until comfortis couldn't get them under control. Just got back from vacation and she stayed with my daughter who is fighting them and didn't bring a one home! It is worth the price for me.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 AM

if you do not regularly treat your animals for fleas, they can p/up them any place!there is a product that you spread on your yd to keep it flea-free. the cute squirrel in your yd, the cats & other critters passing thru your property @night-all possible carriers.do you walk your animal?-hello-fleas are everywhere,some years there's just not enough hosts! don't be so quick toblame the groomer!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
do you walk your animal?-hello-fleas are everywhere,some years there's just not enough hosts! don't be so quick to blame the groomer!
Agree
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 AM

I would hope most people are giving their dogs (and cats) monthly treatment for heartworm, and some of those have flea protection. We were doing Heartgard and Frontline, but Daisy started throwing up the Heartgard, and no way was I leaving an chance of her getting heartworms. We live in FLorida, and they frankly say an untreated dog is a dead dog.

We switched over to Revolution for all of them, and it does the same thing as both products together, and is cheaper for us. It works great for smaller dogs. For added protection you can buy Neem's Oil, which is non-toxic, and runs off fleas, ticks, chiggars, noseeums...and can be used in place of OFF, Repel, etc. An independent study showed it was more effective, not to mention SAFER, than deet.

My dh goes out in the swamp to photograph, and I made him stop using the commercial repellents because the dogs would lick him as soon as he walked in the door. The neem works in the swamp. I can sit outside at night and the mosquitos leave me alone.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM

We use Frontline. It takes care of fleas and ticks.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 AM

My dog gets Sentinal (sp ?) tablets on the first of each month for heartworm prevention and it also prevents fleas and ticks. We have had Max for 5 years now and I have never had a problem. Fleas and ticks in South Louisiana are always a problem and I am personally allergic to flea bites. During the dead of summer, my vet also vaccinates with a preventative if you are boarding your pets due to the increase in flea populations. Maybe if you try a different facililty that provides good flea prevention you could still have the nails done. The Sentinal is not cheap, but worth every penny to me. You can get these at the vet.