Amanda Knox cleared...

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you, Anna.425, from a fellow Washingtonian!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anna.425
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think it is really tacky that Seattle has named a sandwich after Amanda Knox. A young girl is dead, and I wish they would remember that.
I live in Seattle and have not heard of anyone naming a sandwich after Amanda Knox. The expression "Amanda Knox Sandwich" refers to the idea that Amanda Knox was stuck in the middle between the victim and the person who killed her.

There is also a whiny blogger who calls his blog Marmalade Sandwich and he has been commenting on Amanda lately.

These conversations can be a little like kids playing telephone. We all really need to check out rumors and facts before putting them out on the web.
Tell the news people on tv because that is where I heard about it...
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM

this is why i do not travel outside of the US, also i think our judicial system stinks, just look at the OJ and Casey Anthony trials, both murderers and both got of scott free. OJ kept saying he will find whoever is responsible and bring them to justice, havn't seen him search a day.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM

I am happy she is home now too. I think she didn't do it or her boyfriend. Since we live in Washington St. where she is from, we get a lot of local (Seattle) news about what is going on, so we probably get a bit more than most people do.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
this is why i do not travel outside of the US, also i think our judicial system stinks, just look at the OJ and Casey Anthony trials, both murderers and both got of scott free. OJ kept saying he will find whoever is responsible and bring them to justice, havn't seen him search a day.
While I agree that our justice system does let off people that are guilty, please bear in mind that if the prosecuting attorneys don't do their job, and if the jury is left with "a reasonable doubt", then they have to rule "not guilty". I have had the privilege of serving on two juries, one a felony case, one a misdemeanor, and I can honestly tell you it was most difficult, despite the evidence, to find one party guilty. But it was equally hard to find the other individual not guilty....we, on both juries, shared reasonable doubts throughout the hours we deliberated. In one case, we all knew from the reputation of the individual in the community, that committing the crime was very possible, but we couldn't find him guilty as the prosecution did not do their job thoroughly...we had a reasonable doubt about the actions of the individual as it related to this particular crime. The other, the prosecution did their job...it was evident to all of us that the individual was guilty. Yet, it was still difficult to hand out the guilty verdict. Having had this experience, I am much more sympathetic towards juries when they come back with an "unpopular" decision. It can be grueling in that jury room....and the decisions can be difficult to make.

Our system has, as is well documented, put people that are truly innocence behind bars, and some even to death. And while our system has botched some very high profile cases, the majority of the time, our justice system finds the correct party(ies) guilty. I personally would not trade our form of justice (especially the issue of double jeopardy) for any other justice system in the world...even with it's faults and failures.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

He is finally in jail on another charge, not that he searched while he was out.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
While I agree that our justice system does let off people that are guilty, please bear in mind that if the prosecuting attorneys don't do their job, and if the jury is left with "a reasonable doubt", then they have to rule "not guilty". I have had the privilege of serving on two juries, one a felony case, one a misdemeanor, and I can honestly tell you it was most difficult, despite the evidence, to find one party guilty. But it was equally hard to find the other individual not guilty....we, on both juries, shared reasonable doubts throughout the hours we deliberated. In one case, we all knew from the reputation of the individual in the community, that committing the crime was very possible, but we couldn't find him guilty as the prosecution did not do their job thoroughly...we had a reasonable doubt about the actions of the individual as it related to this particular crime. The other, the prosecution did their job...it was evident to all of us that the individual was guilty. Yet, it was still difficult to hand out the guilty verdict. Having had this experience, I am much more sympathetic towards juries when they come back with an "unpopular" decision. It can be grueling in that jury room....and the decisions can be difficult to make.

Our system has, as is well documented, put people that are truly innocence behind bars, and some even to death. And while our system has botched some very high profile cases, the majority of the time, our justice system finds the correct party(ies) guilty. I personally would not trade our form of justice (especially the issue of double jeopardy) for any other justice system in the world...even with it's faults and failures.
Couldn't agree with you more. Very well said. Also, just because people are arrested and charged, doesn't mean they did it. And vice versa of course.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 AM

I think that because so many of the High profile cases are plastered all over the media with what sells newspapers and creates ratings, that we dont really see what the Jury sees. The media paints a picture... and the public takes that at face value. However, because it is not the full or possibily even true story, I tend to ignore most of what I hear in the media, and let the court deal with it as it should be....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I heard that the Italian government prosecutors want to and can retry her! Whether they do it or not is something else. In the US, that is double jeopardy, who knows what Italy will do! Edie

I am not that familiar with it, but if she is guilty and is free, she will have to live with it for the rest of her life. Edie
My understanding of this is that it is Double Jeopardy in Italy too. They can (and are going to) appeal the overturned verdict but apparently that can't even happen for at least 90 days, and then the extradition process from US back to Italy will not be speedy.......I read that she doesn't even have to go back to Italy for appeals hearings.....I do pray she was innocent, and feel for the victim's family. They appear to be very composed, not bashing anyone, just disappointed and still heartbroken over their daughter's death. Sad.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

What I don't understand is how the prosecutor in Italy still has a job. You would think with the things he has been accused of that he would not be prosecuting cases. Doesn't make sense to me...