Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you just get rid of them? >

Do you just get rid of them?

Do you just get rid of them?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM

I took about a two-foot stack and dropped them off at my LQS last year...it was like dropping raw meat into a pirhana pool!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Library is my first thought. They have a book sale and will sale mags then they recycle what don't sell.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM

If you sew with other ladies let them go through the magazines they may want some of them.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM

My LQS has a sit and sew every Friday and she keeps a library of old quilt books and Magazines for us to use maybe your LQS would like to have them.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Definitely donate them! My DH and I frequent the thrift stores every week. In one of the stores the manager was emptying the book and magazine shelves and tossing them into a grocery cart. I asked what he was going to do with them and he said they are going into the trash. I asked if he recycled them and he said no. So, I would suggest you find out if the place you donate them to discards them periodically. If so, find out when and go back and retrieve them and take them to another thrift store. I just hate to see anything go to waste, especially anything related to quilting.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

i gave some to charity , tried to sell some to no avail, and threw out lots and lots. shame.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 PM

you could give them to a quilt club...some have expos at least once a year........they bunfle them and sell for a minium price or to a new quilter. I give some to friends . Aquilt shop loves to see the old mage. I just hate to throw away also give to a
thrift shop

mary
Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM

we have a store around here called half price books-they pay you to give them to them then resell them-you don't get more than a few cents on the dollar but ...
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Oh and also take them to your local quilt shows they sometimes have where you can trade for other books and magazines!!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Just don't do anything too quickly! I was in a "mood" one day cleaning out stuff and got rid of all my subscription quilting magazines. Tons of stuff. (Kept all my hardcover books, thank goodness!) I did give them to a friend who quilts, who was thrilled to get them, but I have regretted it ever since. (She lives nearby, so I can visit them if I really need to! LOL) Needless to say, I've started all over again collecting them!