Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Springtime Block Swap~~~Sign Ups Close Feb. 15, 2012 >

Springtime Block Swap~~~Sign Ups Close Feb. 15, 2012

Springtime Block Swap~~~Sign Ups Close Feb. 15, 2012

Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I am new to this board, but not new to quilting. I've never had time for a guild. Which type of swap is the best on for a first timer? I read of boomerang swaps, block swaps, some others. This one intrigues me the most. I appreciate the feedback.
Of course this one would be good. Lets you have the freedom to make blocks at your level and pace. The other one that is good to start with, which I like and still do, is the DQ swap. I find it pleasant to swap and there is good accountability in that swap. I have been on the board for less than a year, and find that the block swaps are good because you get back different blocks but the same quantity that you sent. Sometimes your own, but you receive same as sent. You should try this one or even do the Valentine Swap that is up as well. I know that mariposa is a good hostess. I have done a few with her as the hostess and had fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM

all the swaps i've done so far have been fun. the boomerang takes 4 months and 35 blocks--big committment. the dq is fun and pretty quick. this is the fastest you have the blocks made when it starts, and you just wait to get them back. the quilting in the new year swap has you paired with a similar quilter and make something quilted for them, and they do something for you, in the space of a month also. they are all fun and good people!!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM

I like this idea/swap! more later.... JP
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Well, a question, as I would like to make a variety of sizes divisable by 3 plus 1/4 in ,was looking through my many patterns, am not finding a peiced pattern that would have a 9in. finished size, lots of 6 and 12 tho, any suggestions would be very appreciated. Maggie
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM

i'm not meaning to be picky, just want to be sure you know that it's divisible by 3, plus 1/2. i would hate for you to do all that work and they come out too small.

question if our blocks are done early can we send them to you early?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 AM

MaggieBB, on a pattern, depending on the one you choose, it is a matter of doing math for a pieced pattern to adjust it to size either larger or smaller. On a pp pattern, it is a matter of using the copier for conversion either larger or smaller. That is how I usually do it. I do not have a good quilt program that could help adjust the pattern so I have always done the math or copier manipulation.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

nancia- Yes, you can send your blocks early! When you are ready, just send me a PM and I will give you my address~
Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Are there any swaps where all the blocks are the same size? What is a DQ swap? Also could someone explain the differences between the swaps? Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 AM

Boomerang swaps the blocks are all 12.5 when you finished your blocks. (1/2" for seam allowances) the DQ or
Doll Quilts can very in size. It is really up to you what size you finish it at. BUT the DQ should be a FINISHED quilt.
block swap are blocks of a certain size but not finished. They are all FUN to participate in, you really show try it!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM

This is beautiful.
Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
Hi, a silly question this is a sample quilt block I have embroired, 6.6 will this be accetable for the swap or should I add some more peices to it? Maggie