Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purple >

Purple

Purple

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM

I tend to purchase blues, my boyfriend loves orange to my stash has a healthy dose of each! I love your quilt, the purples are awesome!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, I have finally accepted part of my problem with fabric selection. It is that I really don't like lots of colors. I like purple, blue, white, and earth tones. That is just about it. I just don't like other colors. I have been playing with the color wheel, reading about fabric selection, googling "how to select fabric for quilts," etc. But what it boils down to is that if it is a quilt for me, I prefer purple.

I should have know this already, as when I look in my clothes closet, purple and blue are the two colors I have lots of. (And purple is not that easy to find in clothes....)

Anyway, here is my latest purple quilt. It is a Rail Fence in three shades of purple. If you look around my sewing room, and even at my stash, you see lots of purple. How come it took me so long to figure this out.

Does anyone else have one color that just seems to be "their" color??

Dina
I had lots of color that were my colors but they did not include light colors, purple or orange. I finally realized I needed all colors to make the quilts I wanted to make. I now have a nice selection of purples and oranges as well as light colors and I am having so much more fun choosing fabric for quilts because I have more variety/options.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM

oh how wonderful now I need a new ironing board cover (PURPLE).Love your quilt
Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SandyMac View Post
Oh my word bless you, bless you, bless you, you have set me free.I know I'm an old lady and this should have bee something I realized,but oh hell no.I have stopped dead in my tracks with everything trying to figure out how to finish off the bbottom of my ironing board.You know like the store bought ones.It looks like you pinned or stapled your.OMG I feel like the weight of the world just slipped off my shoulders,Thank you Sandy McClellan
Sandy, you are right. My ironing board cover is just fabric from my stash, pinned on. I even know where some extra basting pins are, if I run out. The best thing is that I can still use the fabric when I switch to another cover.

Dina
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by petlover View Post
I am a purple also. I am trying to broaden my color selection though. I am doing a black and white with bright pink quilt for my hubby. I love your ironing board cover. Did you make it yourself?
Yes, my ironing board cover is just fabric from my stash pinned on with basting pins. Works just fine for me, and, best of all, I can use still use the fabric when I change to a new ironing board cover.

Dina
Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Color preference like everything else runs in cycles. I used to hate purple and now I LOVE it. And, there's nothing wrong with purple---we have a lady in our quilting group that loves it so much she almost always has something purple on--she even has purple shoes! We call her Purple Pat.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM

My son loves purple, my grandaughter loves purple, so every once in a while I pick purple fabric to make some thing for them, I like all bright colors, I love the quilt you made, great job
Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM

I love purple also. Great looking quilt BTW!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM

I like Brights, lots of colors. The colors I like least are most browns, and some greens.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I'd say you're addicted to purple, but then so am I, purple and teal are my favorite colors, but I've made many quilts not in that colorway and have survived with it not being purple. That's a lovely rail fence, love the purples that you chose. Every once in a while I stretch myself and do something in different colors and the quilt police do not knock down my door, so I guess that's all right. I once made a quilt for a friend. She had sewn strips of all her scrap fabric and then told me she wanted rows of red in between. My litany while sewing the quilt was "red is a neutral - red is a neutral" and got through it. Surprisingly, both my son and husband liked the quilt and the lady loved it, so no harm done. It did teach me to branch out into other colorways though, so I'm not just a teal and purple gal all the time. It doesn't hurt to step out of our safety zone from time to time.